Monday, November 24, 2008

Magellan RoadMate 2200T Portable GPS Navigator, Silver

Magellan RoadMate 2200T Portable GPS Navigator, Silver

DO NOT BUY!!!!

I purchased this Because of Price and learned that going cheaper isn't allways better. I used it three times and now the unit won't even turn on. I've called customer service and get some guy in India who I could barely understand. It's not worth the hassle, Just spend the money on a Garmin.I saw some reviews where they were satisfied with there Magellin.I have nothing good to say about it and won't purchase another magellin product.

Very Solid

I actually have two of these, one for me, and one for a guy who works for me. I read over some of the negative reviews, most of them are referring to defective units. One was from someone who was trying to enter in an address that didn't exist. I use this unit for my company that provides mobile services. We have entered in and navigated to probably 1000 addresses using this unit. Working correctly (which it always has for me), it picks up signal within 30-60 seconds after being turned on, battery lasts for a while, and it recalculates fairly quickly, maybe around 5-10 seconds. My favorite feature is that you can enter addresses starting with the Zip code instead of the City which was not the case with my Garmin Steetpilot 340. This is a very inexpensive unit, if I were to buy another inexpensive unit, I would go with this one because I know that it works solid and have used it extensively to know that there are no major defects in its operation or design and will work dependably in any situation that I require from it.

Nice unit with very obsolete maps and poor customer support

This is not a bad performing unit and it would be a good unit except for one fact. It ships with (mediocre at best) maps dated August 2006 and Magellan wants you to pay $80 plus shipping for an update. If you buy the refurb and then the update disk you are at the price of a new Garmin Nuvi 350 which will have a one year warranty (instead of absurd 90 day as with the Magellan refurb - evryone else's refurbs come with same as new warranties, by the way) and it will come with current maps plus the Nuvi is a simply superior unit. (Consumer Reports Best Buy.) Do not buy this unit unless you simply MUST have obsolete maps, poor customer support (no excuse for not including a map update) and a very short warranty. Offering this unit with the ancient maps and no free map update is an intellegence test that Magellan is running on their customers. (My excuse, I simply did not know that they had the no-free-updates policy. Their competitors do provide free updates and I thought Magellan would follow the pattern.) I strongly urge that you think long and hard before rewarding them for their very anti-consumer maps policy. (Garmin and TomTom both give free update down-loads with the purchase of their units, new or refurb. No reason for Magellan not to do the same other than simple greed.) This is the last time I will ever even consider a Magellan product. I urge you to not make the mistake I did in buying a Magellan product. You can do far better for the same money.

Great Unit

Great unit, but it does not come with the crossover upgrade. It has to be purchased, seperatly. Unit works well and text to speech sounds good. Has a great battery life. Suction cup mount works well.

Expensive Paperweight

I'd have to say the biggest problem with this unit is how restrictive it is in entering an address. In neither the map function nor the address book can you enter one in directly but have to search for it starting with either a zip code or city and then slowly work your way through the screens till you've found the entire address. If it thinks your address is actually in a different city or the street name is different then you can't enter it. I had a business address that was #1036 on a street located in Bridgeton - according to their own company letterhead. I started with the zip code which produced 8 city results - Bridgeton and 7 surrounding towns. How does that happen? Doesn't the U.S. Post Office give each city their own zip code? I pick Bridgeton then have to type in the street name. It then comes up with the number range to type in and it only allowed #1-1001! After messing with it I discovered it was showing the street name as having #1-1001 but that same street also has a route # designated to it that I happened to know and when I tried that it showed the #'s available as 1-1100. If I hadn't been local, knowing that streets route number, and went by the businesses own letterhead I never would have found it. Actually discovered all this the day after I gave up on the unit and just winged it. A GPS unit is supposed to save time and this one does nothing more than take up more of it. What an expensive mistake I made. Also complained to the company that it tells me to take a longer route in one direction and the shorter route back and they advised this will be addressed in the many updates they expect to put through since it was such a new item. This was a month after I bought it 5 months ago and not one update has come out. Yes it has the nice features everyone else mentions(that POI editor wants lattitude and longitude, can't put in an address - gave up on it)but if you can't put address's in it what good are all those features? Don't waste your money or your time with this unit.



Keyword : magellan

No comments: