Thursday, November 27, 2008

Magellan RoadMate 6000T Portable GPS Navigator

Magellan RoadMate 6000T Portable GPS Navigator

Don't buy

Magellan Customer service is the worst customer service I have ever dealt with. They offer a free 30 day map update since all of their products ship with out of date maps. This would be a good thing except it is in the fine print of their products and their customer support email address that their website list is the wrong address. I had to get through to their customer service by posting a bad review on their website. By the time they responded my unit was beyond the 30 day limit and they refused to give me the update. This is a bad business practice. Garmin has a 60 day guarantee which is posted directly on their website in plain view.

Good, but not great!

Ok, I have had this unit for over two years. As stated before, yes I had freezing problems and it would reset and loose all the previous places I had been. I tried many times to upgrade the firmware to no avail and did spend countless hours on the phone with the India service center where I feel I knew more about a simple computer than the guy/girl on the other line. Thank GOD I had an extended service program with the store chain I brought it from and they fixed it for me. Hope the map update goes a lot smoother. The Unit now runs great and instead of the 5 seconds to turn the unit off now it's just two. Just wish they had a smaller mounting arm as the OEM one is too long which is funny that the new guys say theirs is too short. No one is ever content.

Magellan 6000T decided to call it quits

I have had Magellan 6000T for over a year now and it seemed to be working fine overall with the exception of an occasional freeze up. However, from the past 2 weeks, the unit does not display the map and when any key is pressed, it responds after 5 minutes. The issue is not battery-related as far as I could tell since it is constantly charged and the battery indicator is green in color. I had purchased the 6000T for 450.00 last year. From now on I'll stay with the cheap units. At least that way, even if the unit breaks one can discard it with less pain.

Absolutely terrible

I have had this product for over a year now and was surprised when travelling from Mtl to NYC how this device directed me to drive through off highway country roads. I have tried to upgrade to a higher version of software 1.16 with great difficulty. My PC is asking for the Magellan Roadmate software. The unit never came with it. When finally located my Microsoft PC is advising me not to install it as it does not conform with Microsofts software conditions and it may harm the system. I have tried to contact magellans help ware, but have had no response. After reading all the horrible experiences from fellow magellan owners, i am frustrated enough to trash this unit and proclaim the truth, THIS SYSTEM SUCKS, and I for one do not recommend anyone to purchase a Magellan unit. If the company had any morals they would refund the money or excahnge all of their 6000T units for a model that actually works.

Hope you don't need customer service

The devil is in the details. The unit works as advertised, but the "lock ups" are something I've never encountered before. I have a built-in unit in my car, and it has never locked. Mine 600T locked so severely once, I couldn't even turn it off or reset. That brings up customer service. I called twice, and my wife called twice, and neither of us could understand what the reps were trying to say. Offshore CS is NOT OK if the reps don't speak the language of the customer - or vice versa. Also be aware that this unit is officially "not a current offering." Wonder when the support will stop? The unit came without a manual, so if you want instructions to take with you, be prepared to print out 140 or so pages. All in all - not impressed with Magellan. The good news is the price has been reduced by 2/3.



Keyword : magellan

No comments: