Sunday, November 23, 2008

Navigon 2200T 3.5-Inch Portable GPS Navigator with Text-To-Speech and Free Traffic Alerts

Navigon 2200T 3.5-Inch Portable GPS Navigator with Text-To-Speech and Free Traffic Alerts

Great product with only one apparent con

I was one of the first people to buy this GPS (it was sold out for a long time after that). I have it for about 4 months now and I love it! The best features are: 1. The reality view which shows lane pictures and highway signs as they appear in real life. 2. Real-Time traffic update. It was delayed by about 10-15 minutes when I passed a few traffic accidents and congestion but still it's pretty awesome feature to have for the life of the GPS. The only bad thing I found was the time it takes to search where you are located in the country. Sometimes it takes 10-15 minutes to find the satellite signal. That's the reason why most of the time, I end up using my older GPS unit (MIO) because my old one takes no more then 1 minute to locate the signal (too bad it has old map).

Smart Unit

The Navigon 2200T 3.5-Inch Portable GPS Navigation with Text-to-Speech and Free Traffic Alerts is packed with features, fairly easy to setup with menu's grouped intellingently for general and specific settings. If you are new to GPS technology as I was (Yeah, I know Johnny come lately) be aware that it does take a considerable amount of time for the GPS to locate it's position the very first time you use it. I took mine outside, placed it on a chair and left it for about 35 minutes before it finally logged it's position the first time. Also the subsequent searches for new destinations can take 3-4 Minutes (not the 2 or less it states.) For the price (and I have been waiting some time because the $400-$600 I was seeing on these units was just too steep) this delivers bang for the bucks. One final comment.. when you exit the highway, it will direct you to keep straight on the highway you just left... it's a little confusing until you realize that it considers the service road / exit ramp as still part of the highway. That being said, I highly recommend this unit. So far, the Turn by Turn directions has been dead-nuts on, text to speech is pleasant and if you make a mistake... miss your exit for example.. no worries... trust me.. been there done that.. this thing rocks for getting you back to where you need to be. I gave this a 4 Star rating out of 5 because of the time it takes to calculate new destinations (after the initial first time usage).

Very pleased with first GPS

As my heading implies, this is my first GPS. I used it for a trip from central Ohio to Memphis and it was awesome! I accidentally left my atlas in my other vehicle and had no directions so I was leary, but the device worked almost flawlessly. The lane assistant was very useful in metropolitan areas. Satellite acquisition has only been a few seconds each time. The audio works fine. The screen is easy for me to read. If I had one negative it would be the POI database and POI accuracy. It is limited and sometimes would give me partially inaccurate directions (correct exit but location further down road than indicated). I hope the map update service and software upgrades will address the POI issue in the future, but the device is very accurate when you have an address. It also recalculates almost instantly when you make a wrong turn.

Great device

The 2200t is a great gps. Routing is efficient and accurate (ran some test routes), and the screen is very easy to read. It is also small enough to fit in your pocket. The unit itself is extremely quick and responsive. Once I got a satellite fix, a list of over 60 traffic messages were available. However, there are two disadvantages to the gps: - the lack of many POI's (points of interest) - variable satellite aquisition times (1-5 minutes depending on where you are) Overall --- I highly recommend. Great unit for the price.

Navigon 2200T - Just Got One

I just received my Navigon 2200T and have it for about 2 weeks now. First impression on the unit is the design is very nice, small and compact which can easily put inside my pocket. The reason I get this one over the 7200T is the 4.3" might be a little too big to put in my pocket and it is a little heavier too (not to mention it costs more). Like the previous review said the screen is big enough to see the direction. The bigger screen on the 7200T is only giving you the width which isn't very helpful. As far as performance goes it takes a long time to log onto the satellites (more than 20 minutes) every time I turn on the unit. I emailed Navigon customer support and they instructed me to reset the unit. I did that and it immediately acquired the signal. I said to myself "wow, it really works". Unfortunately as soon as I turn off the unit (or standby mode), the problem of logging onto the satellites comes back again. I am not sure if I have a defective unit or this is just the way this product is. There is no way for me to reset the unit every time I want a fast satellites signal. All my saved addresses will be lost and it is a real hassle to re-enter them again. I already sent another e-mail to customer support and hope the problem is the unit itself. SUMMARY- Pros: 1) Free Life Time Traffic; 2) Compact and light weight; 3) Good looking design; 4) Clear picture and direction; 5) Warn you if you are speeding; 6) Lane assistance; 7) Good price; 8) Fast response from customer support; Cons: 1) Logging onto satellites signal is long; 2) No wall charger with the unit; 3) No USB cable with the unit; 4) User interface is not as user friendly as Garmin; 5) No user manual with the unit, you have to download from the website; 6) The battery is draining fast, it won't last more than couple hours with a full charge;



Keyword : navigon

1 comment:

Pooja said...

The Navigon 2200T is a very useful device and very comfortable to handle. The Navigon 2200T is definitely a slower device but the traffic updates can save your ample time. For more details refer Navigation GPS