Wednesday, November 26, 2008

TomTom GO 910 4-Inch Portable GPS Navigator

TomTom GO 910 4-Inch Portable GPS Navigator

Disposable?

I got a Tom Tom 910 for Christmas. I used it when I traveled out of town. I really loved it, but I put it away and didn't use it for a few months because I didn't go anywhere. When I needed it it wouldn't start. I reset it. I charged it. I reset it again. Called Tom Tom customer service. They made me reset and recharge and then told me the battery was dead. They said that I could return it for repair, and I asked how much would that cost. Answer - more than a new unit! I asked if I could buy a battery and they said the battery COULD NOT BE CHANGED!!!!!!!! So basically I used it a couple of dozen times and then threw it out. I won't buy another GPS that has a permanent battery.

T 910

This GPS is the best! I purchased mine refurbrished, it froze during the first times I turned it on. I hit the reset button on the back and havent had any problems since. This tom tom is turely the best though.

Buy Tom Tom at your own risk

I bought a 910 2 years ago. It has pretty much since then been sat side by side with my Sirius Sat. radio on the dash of my truck. My Tom Tom Died last week from what I can only summise as being overheated, I summise this as I have had problems in the past with the unit not switching on when hot. I called Tom Tom tech support to be told the unit was out of warranty and they do not offer a repair service. I was offered a Loyal customer discount, which basically meant I'd have to spend alot of money with them to get a replacement. Funny how this device has sat on my dash for only 2 years and dies whereas my Sat. radio has been there for over 5 years and is still going strong. All in all I am throughly disapointed in Tom Tom's service and the quaility of thier equipment. B e warned.

NEVER BUY A TOM TOM

If you want a good product stay away from Tom Tom products. I have used 3 different products from tom tom and maybe I'm a slow learner or tom tom has bad products, just stay away from tom tom so many better gps units to buy that are better. Never plan to use an update. Takes 10 hours to download and if it is the right download goodluck. I bought a europe update and got a guam update and they stated NO REFUNDS. NEVER BUY A TOM TOM!!!

Poor Product support-get a NUVI

TomTom GO 910 4-Inch Portable GPS Navigator Bought the 910 about a year and a half ago. Stopped working so I followed on-line suggestions to no help . Want to meet the engineer who located the reset hole on this puppy. Even the tech rep admitted it was an embarassement. Techie told me I probably left it on the dock too long without using. Where said I is that in the product information (it's not) Sent it back (under warranty) and while I waited bought a NUVI. No comparison, the NUVI is much more intuitive and user friendly. Tom Tom replaced it with a "refurbished" unit. Didn't even bother to use it until tonight when I gave it to my daughter to use on a Fourth of July junket. Problem is the replacement unit is "home based" in Kinsale Ireland. Some nice travel photos were included though. Followed on-line instructions. tried to download fix through cell phone as recommended. Ireland centered unit doesn't recognize my Verizon cell. Set up the home docking station outside with an extension cord and tried to re-set unit with my laptop on-line. 20 minutes later-No good. Tried to call "customer support". Their hours are now 8:30 to 7:00. Hey Tommy Boy what happens if you have a problem with your navigation unit outside bankers hours? I'll be on the phone tomorrow but my daughter will be gone on her trip. Ironically, I'll be in Kinsale next week. Maybe I'll try to find the prior owner and we can go over his photos. Hey maybe when he returned his unit he got my Amityville, NY defective unit in exchange. Wouldn't that be a pub story? Whether I go to Ireland, New England or locally, I'll put my trust in NUVI. What kind of quality control department sends out a replacement unit without testing it or re-setting it. What kind of International marketing outfit that sells vehicle navigation units does not provide access to 24 hour customer support? I've owned both Tom Tom and NUVI, and how do you think I'd answer that question?



Keyword : tom+tom

No comments: