Saturday, November 29, 2008

Garmin nüvi 755T 4.3-Inch Widescreen Portable GPS Navigator

Garmin nüvi 755T 4.3-Inch Widescreen Portable GPS Navigator

Solid GPS Navigator, But Where's Lane Assist / Junction View?

I have only used this device on one trip along a known route thus far. The device instructed me to go along a route that is shorter in distance and time than what I normally take; big plus. The directions and verbal instructions were accurate and timely. The speed limit worked correctly most of the trip, except for one section where it was posted 50mph and the 755T told me it was 55mph. The only key complaint, which I see others had as well, are the lane assist and junction view features. They did not appear once during the trip, even though I was on a highway for part of it. Also, there were no 3-D objects presented on the screen; I don't care about this feature, but Garmin markets the product as having this capability. Hopefully this will be corrected in future updates (if you register the product with Garmin within 60 days you get free map upgrades); if so then this is a 5-star product. If not, then the 750 is a cheaper option that provides everything that the 755T does except for FM traffic (standard on 755T; optional on 750), or get the 760 (same price, and includes Bluetooth).

lane assist & Junction view add'l coverage not free

I just got off the phone with Garmin and was told: 1. that Lane guidance and Junction View are both part of Lane Guidance 2. That additional coverage will come incremetnally with map updates and map updates (as opposed to hardware updates) are not free. So right now its a gamble whether your area is currently covered and you are home free, or you will have to keep buying map updates to get the additional Lane/Junction coverage. I've just ordered the 755 & will be going on a trip shortly after it arrives - if the coverage isn't there, then I will probably be returning it & keep on chugging on my Nuvi 660 until the coverage matures. I stopped buying updates for the 66o two years ago. I gave it 3 stars based on my experience with other garmin products. I'll update this after I get and use the unit. I decided to review it now as some of the other reviews seemed to imply that updates for add'l coverage would be free

The 755t more show than show

I have had my 755t for a week. This is my third gamin. When this unit works properly it looks and operates great. I bought it mainly for the lifetime traffic alert and no pop up antenna. I live in the Washington D.C. area. I have had lane assist operate just 2 times. If you are headed out of d.c to Maryland on 295 south and you exit on 210 there it is lane assist. That's it it has never worked any were else. The 3d view works in all of downtown d.c looks cool but no real value. Traffic alert only works on major roads so doing rush hour don't expect the unit to fined those unpopulated 2 lane back roads. No 3d view below the mason Dixon line. No traffic alerts below the mason Dixon line. As a matter of fact the unit for some reason refused to work in Norfolk VA? The unit went black every time i tried to pull up The map. It started working again in Petersberg VA. There are firmware issues with my unit. I have upgraded on line but the unit still says it has the old firmware on it. One last thing when crossing the Wilson Bridge from VA to Maryland (the bridge is not quite complete yet) the unit says recalculating 3 times than commits some kind of electronic suicide and shuts itself down. It than recalculates and i see the lane assist work for the second time when I exit 210 in Maryland. This unit is not worth the price wait 6 months if you can. The price will dip $100 and hopefully there will be more lane assist and the firmware issues would have been worked out. Frank

Not Impressed

A little background: My wife bought me a GPS for our anniversary in August. So yes, I'm a newbie at this stuff. She got me a Tomtom ONE, which is, for the money, not a bad little unit. But it had a few issues, so I thought I'd upgrade. For almost twice the amount she had paid, I bought a nuvi 255. This device was a disaster, inaccurate, nowhere near the amount of information on screen, no configurability ... well, yeah, I can change the voice, or the car icon - whoopie! That one went back, and I pre-ordered a 755t before they were actually available. I was impressed with the ads that show the ALG and Junction Views. I anxiously waited, and then one day, it arrived. The rubberized coating and feel of the unit was remarkable! The screen nice and bright. I couldn't wait to see the ALG and Junction Views, so I opted to drive 30+ miles to work the next day (instead of taking the train) and see the features in action. So off I went up toward I-95N to Jersey City. The first thing I found was that it was really delayed in providing turn instructions. It's a good thing I already knew how to get to work, because I would have definitely missed many of my turns. Uh oh. My second impression was that it was nowhere near as loud as my Tomtom. So when traffic stopped on Rt18, I tried turning it up ... but there was only one notch to go, and it wasn't much louder. So I turned off the radio and closed the windows. Next, I was surprised that the unit didn't seem to know that the turnpike has different sets of lanes for "Cars Only" and for "Cars & Trucks". It kept insisting that I "keep right" which would've put me in the mix with Cars & Trucks. I have found this happens every time I get on or off the turnpike. I guess someday a map update might correct it. For some reason, between two exits on the NJ Turnpike (and this happened coming home at night, too), it needed to "recalculate". It couldn't have been due to traffic, since there wasn't any, and the TMC didn't indicate any, either. Maybe it's because I used that "Cars Only" on-ramp instead of trying to fight with the trucks. Weird. The Speed Limits were right on target. This much I can say. I also found that the unit is extremely fast at recalculating a route. That is a good trade-off for those times it doesn't give enough notice about your exits, I guess. And what of those two new features that convinced me to spend $[...] on a GPS unit? ALG came up ONCE in all the times I've used the device in Central and Northern NJ. Junction View? Can anyone tell me if this device actually HAS it? I have never seen it. So I have a device that is not quite as good at navigating as the $[...] Tomtom, but it lets me play MP3's and let's me view pictures, has a currency converter (that doesn't update automatically like the one on my cellphone/pda), and a calculator (I guess in case the one on my pda breaks). I can't change colors, or very much of anything else. And I can hardly hear it if I have the AC on. I've gotten an RMA for this unit, and I've begun to play with a Navigon 7200t. So far ... REALLY liking the Navigon. It has some issues, too, but ALG and Junction View and 3D View all work in my area. It also comes with lifetime traffic, and to top it all off, it gives GREAT DIRECTIONS, in time for me to navigate. One Hundred US Dollars less than the MSRP Price I paid for the 755t, [...]! Oh well, I gave up the MP3 player. I'll need to use my radio and in-dash CD player, I guess. And I suppose I'll need to view pictures on my 24" LCD PC Monitor when I get home. Geez, and I wanted to look at them while I was driving. Curious, has anyone else had these feelings about this device? Or maybe mine has some problems? Has ANYONE from NJ seen ALG or Junction View? I can't believe Garmin would omit such a highly-populated area that has such complex roadways. Not impressed, -pvs

It Works Just The Way It's Suppose To

I only have this unit for 10 days, and so far, it's working the way it is supposed to. I have not encountered any glitch at this point, and I can't comment on the TMC as there is no coverage for this feature where I live. But Dan Nichols posted a pretty extensive review on October 9, '08, and I must say that I totally agree with his comments. The only difference is, that Dan prefered Australlian Karen while I prefered British Daniel, with a little more authoritative voice over Karen. The one feature that I like most on this unit over the 265WT, which was my first choice, is the LANE ASSIST. You won't appreciate it until you find yourself in a situation where you're in very unfamiliar places with a very busy traffic. So far I'm very happy with it and it deserves five stars.



Keyword : garmin

No comments: