Monday, November 24, 2008

TomTom GO 510 4-Inch Portable GPS Navigator

TomTom GO 510 4-Inch Portable GPS Navigator

TomTom saved my sanity!

Okay, so I am the woman that is always lost. I have lived in the same area my whole life, but if I get turned around, I am hopeless. I started a new job about a year ago where I would be seeing clients all over Los Angeles County, and I knew I was in trouble. I bought a TomTom, and I can't express how much of a stress relief it has been! I have driven many many places, and it has only been wrong (slightly, and I quickly figured out the problem) twice. I spent a long time researching which GPS to purchase, and I am definitly happy with TomTom. No more Mapquest when I need to go somewhere, I can just hop in my car, input the address, and off I go! Some of the inputing takes getting use to - i.e. you put the city name first, then the street name, then the number. My only complaint is that you usually have to know if the street is North/South etc. and I forget to ask. You can also download new maps, cool voices, and other features from the website. It has tons of Point of Interests, so I can even go places if I know the name of the venue but not the address. Directions are given with plenty of advance notice, and even includes your next turn so you know which lane to turn into (Turn Right, then Turn Left). TomTom does not tell you the street name to turn onto - only the distance to go, but it has it on the screen. I don't have a cell phone, so I can't tell you about the bluetooth, or the internet features, like live traffic, but overall, I love my TomTom!!

TomTom Go510

I purchased the Go 510 because of the great reviews. I was a little dissapointed to find that my home address is not on the GPS map, like many other people this can be frustrating when the maps are not up to date! I have found many places not on the GPS map system, so TomTom get them updated!!! The GO 510 has performed well, I had a few problems of having to reset it several times over the first month of using the unit, but its run great since then and performs well. Other than the map updates it is a good unit. The screen is the right size, the voice for letting you know turns are coming up is great, lot's of POI to download. Just not updated maps....had to throw that in again. Seriously this is a good unit for the price, but with this unit being discontinued, buy an updated model that you get free map upgrades.

Nice item, but...

This unit is an older unit so the software loaded with it is dated 2006. I just bought in in July 2008. For anyone looking for the most up to date maps out of the box this is not the unit for you. I bought this to replace a Magellan Roadmate. It has some nice features but could use some the Magellan had such as multiple users and an easier to access volume control.

Poor quality and directions

I am greatly disapointed in the quality of the product. The device frequently takes 5+ minutes to locate my position when I turn it on. I shouldn't have to get the device out to the car and turn it on several minutes before I leave so that I can get directions to my next destination. Similarly, the battery life is very poor. After just a few weeks of use, it would routinely last only 5 minutes before giving me warning messages about the power. As a result, I need to travel with the charger at all times and cannot use it without it being plugged in which brings me to the next issue. The device is poorly designed. For some reason they decided that the only way you would ever want to charge it, is with the full base. You cannot plug the charger directly into the tomtom which means you must have the charger with you at all times. I also found that it frequntly asked me whether I wanted to connect to my PC, while I was driving. After a month of aggrevation, I called to complain and eventually received a replacement device. Unfortunately, only the issue about connecting to my PC was resolved which makes me think it is a poor quality system and this doesn't even go into the times when it gives misguided directions (something which I would assume that all devices do from time to time). I would recommend that you stay away from this device and possibily the TomTom brand.

Piece of Junk

I have had nothing but trouble with this unit. It could not navigate on the olympic peninsula in Washington state. Resets itself too often. Finally, when I really needed it one night, it died. Not a power issue as it was plugged into the car with the charge light on. Tried charging overnight - now it will not reset and not even come on. Returning it for something that works.



Keyword : tom+tom

No comments: