Thursday, September 18, 2008

Garmin Bicycle Mount for eTrex and Summit (010-10267-00)

Garmin Bicycle Mount for eTrex and Summit (010-10267-00)

Very Secure and Easy To Use

I love this device for my bicycle. It works very well, is very sturdy and is very secure. I would love to see a product with the option to buy two bicycle mounts since I have several different bicycles.

Bad Design!

Put simply, this case was badly designed for mountain bikers! I sold mine 2 weeks after buying it. Why is it bad? The whole gps is supported by the bottom battery case, which in turn is supported by a tiny metal hinge in the case. With all the vibrations in mountain biking, the hinge will eventually become loose and perhaps the batteries may come loose. I've heard of batteries coming loose from other users and the gps loosing power! Garmin needs to design a holder that holds the entire gps body rather than the battery cover only. Bottom line : NEVER get this for mountain biking. It might perhaps be a little less damaging in road biking.

These seems good so far but if you have a eTrex Vista hcx read on...

I've got the eTrex Vista hcx and was immediatly annoyed that it wasn't as waterproof as the original cover. And then I realized I could not get the battery cover to work. BUT what I discovered is all you need is the 010-10496-00 (search Amazon for part number) for the part that is what goes on the handle bars (and a tiny part that comes with the HCX). It's only a little cheaper but it's all you need. I'm assuming this is true for any of the models with memory cards since that was my problem in getting it to work. Before I got this I knew the part I wouldn't like: I'll need a phillips to get the handlebar adaptor on and off when traveling (when renting a bike or ORV). But now my biggest complaints are tied to the tiny piece I mentioned above: one it needs a flathead screwdriver to attach to the case, and (2) it's pretty small (in terms of losing it). Because of this I'm tempted to file down the inside of the new battery cover so it fits my HCX. This way I won't lose anything (or have the flathead screw get loose). Or just buy a spare battery cover (not sold at Amazon but only $10) and leave the adapter permanently screwed on.

Don't worry. ¡It does work!

Don't worry. Use the "auxiliary mount adapter" that comes with your GPS unit, may be you have dropped it into the box. This adapter attaches to the GPS unit easily,screwing it on the back of the original battery cover, don't remove it, and don't replace it with the bike mount cover, it is useless. Now you can install the Etrex either on the handlebar mount or on the Suction Mounting Bracket. You don't need to buy anything else.

It does not work for a etrex venture CX

What a disappointment. The battery cover does not work on a eTrex Venture CX model. What a disappointment. The CX has a flash card slot on the upper left which requires a notch in the cover. This one does not have the notch so it will not fit. I also do not have the o-ring mentioned by the other reviewer so I am not sure if it will seal 100% on regular units anyway. What a bummer I threw away the packaging before I actually tried to mount it on the bicycle anyway. What a bummer.



Keyword : gps

No comments: