Friday, September 19, 2008

Garmin Edge 605 Bicycle Computer and GPS Navigator

Garmin Edge 605 Bicycle Computer and GPS Navigator

No total ascent

I am a mountain biker and wanted the new Edge 605 mainly to give me net ascent totals. For all I paid for it, I was so shocked it does not have this feature. None of Garmin's marketing was specific enough for me to know this. I had to go through the manual in detail before I realized it. What a disappointment!

Not worth it's value

I agree with all the reviewers. 1. You have to buy City Navigator for 100 bucks! Why isn't it included? 2. The backlight problem is irritating 3. It does lead you off to busier roads sometimes when there are better roads available. (even if you set the unit to avoid using highways) 4. Over and above, if you have to quickly enter a cue sheet or way points on the unit, god help you. You'll stay behind entering info while the rest of the group would have finished the first half of the ride and are on their way back. And all said and done, it is still useful (if you get City Navigator) and you plan ahead carefully and you do your homework. You can download and upload routes even though it is not so straight forward. It also needs a little getting used to. Bottom line: If you have the money....and don't care that it adds only so much value for 500 bucks....buy it. Otherwise you'll end up with buyer's remorse - for sure.

Good But With Some Problems

I think that the previous reviews for the 605 are a bit harsh. Let me get right to the negatives of the product as I see it. 1. The route algoritm allows you to select an option where it diverts you around major highways and roads. While this works 90% of the time, every so often it will direct me right onto a major highway or traffic circle when there are better routes available. 2. Backlighting settings not being saved is a pain as the other reviewer mentioned 3. The straps that the 605 comes with to attach to your bike aren't strong enough. After a few rides my 605 tends to move around to much requiring constant re-adjustment, especially on bumpy roads. I plan on adding some velcro to the back which should solve the problem 4. The free Training Center software that you can use with the 605 is pretty much a waste. Outside of storing your rides and keeping a history of ride statistics, it's not worth the download. 5. The detailed street maps do not come standard with the unit. For $399 I was expecting them to and don't think Garmin made this point clear on their site. Outside of the above, I really don't think that I could not recommend the 605. Its not perfect but it really does make riding easier when you don't have to mentally keep track of where you are or worry about getting lost.

Not Ready for Primetime

I agree with the first reviewer, I bought this anticipating it at least had some maps and streets on it, it has pretty much nothing, it is worthless until you buy a sd card with the preloaded maps, to top it off the descriptions of what you can expect when you buy an sd card whether it be a topo map of an area or city navigator is pretty vague, I also thought I would be able to upload routes and follow them, no, nope, not happening until someone hacks into this thing, if I had it to do over again I wouldn't buy this, I bought a Quest (garmin) a few years ago for a couple hundred more dollars and a bike mount and used that with much more success, I would still be using it if it still worked, (kept falling off windshield of car until the antenna broke off) another better option would be a nuvi with a bike mount, 199.00 + bike mount, anyway I wouldnt reccomend this item. but I will say this, having a gps on my bike has been a life saver where I ride, dirtroads, min maint roads, sometimes far from home, I have been able to ride without fear of getting lost and not getting home or wondering how far from home I am as well as being able to tell my wife exactly where I need rescued at. I do reccomend GPS for your bike if you are going to be in this situation, I love it, but I would go with the Quest with the bike mount.

Terrible.

I bought the 605 for a couple of reasons. First was the turn-by-turn directions. What Garmin is vague about is that to get turn-by-turn directions, you have to buy their City Navigator Map card for another $100. Ok, fine. Bought the map. First attempt at getting directions - picked a destination 25 miles from home (nothing too difficult, as a test). The unit literally took 23 minutes to plot the course. 23 minutes! Unbelievable. Car navigators take seconds. Once the unit plotted the course, I noticed that it took me through the Holland Tunnel (leaving New York City) and on a freeway. Not exactly how I pictured my first bike ride with the thing. Ok, so maybe the plotting doesn't work so well. I figured maybe I could just create routes on my computer and upload them to the device. Nope. Not possible. I took a closer look at the manual. No help whatsoever. It's a joke, actually. On-line help? Ha. Go to Garmin's website. Download the manual. Try to find any good, specific, detailed information on how to really use the device. It's not possible. Somewhere in the Amazon listing, Garmin also promises SPOKEN directions. Nope. Totally not a feature either. It's really amazing how bad this thing is. It does almost nothing except tell you where you are. Which is what my $90 Garmin Geko did 4 years ago. As for the cycle-computer functions, I got better data with my $30 Cateye. The Garmin's data is very slow to update and the altitude was always wrong. The unit doesn't come with a heart rate strap - and I didn't expect it to. But if you ever want to upgrade later and add one - forget it. You need the 705 for that. I really can't believe what a piece of junk this is. Also, it lets you set the backlight level - nice feature, except that whenever you turn the unit off, it forgets your setting and reverts to no backlight. So everytime you turn the thing on you have to reset your backlight setting. Arg. It is true that you can log on to Motion Based (Garmin's GPS web-community) and download other users' routes. But the unit will only hold one at a time. And there's no way to edit the routes. You can't edit your own routes on a computer either. So frustrating. I've never been so underwhelmed over a product. Here's all I want (Garmin, are you listening?): -Decent turn-by-turn directions. For a BICYCLE. And instantly (or under 2 minutes). -Ability to download routes I've ridden and edit them, then upload them back to the device. -Ability to create a route from scratch and upload it to the device. I'm not asking for much. This thing does NONE OF THE ABOVE. Whatever you do, don't buy this thing. Unless you want to buy mine on eBay.



Keyword : street+bike

No comments: