Saturday, October 4, 2008

NEXTAR 7-Inch Digital Photo Frame with Slide Show and Music Function

NEXTAR 7-Inch Digital Photo Frame with Slide Show and Music Function

Need backlight

On bright environment, photos are not really showing. May need backlight on the screen. Still looking how to adjust brightness on each pictures

How to fix the distortion

If you haven't bought this frame yet, don't buy it. Look elsewhere. I got this as a gift and was determined to make it work. If you set the aspect ratio to 4:3 then your pictures will display properly, but won't fill up the screen. The default is 16:9 which stretches the photos and distorts them. The trick is to distort (compress) them so that look ok when stretched. Using a photo editing tool, select a 1000 by 500 pixel portion of your photo. Then change the image properties to 700 by 500. The key is to uncheck the "maintain aspect ratio" box. On your PC, your photo will now look squished. But when loaded to the frame it now look fine. I used the editor that came with my Canon camera, but you can download the free IrfanView to do it.

cheap but not good

I bought this for my wife for Christmas and got a 1Gb SD card for it as well. I started loading in pictures on the card but there's no point in putting alot on it. This thing is slower than molasses and most images don't look very good. Not the best gift I ever gave her...fortunately I bought jewelry as well!

Distorts images

While this frame had a lot of the features I was looking for at a decent price, the image quality was so bad that I returned it immediately. The frame stretched all of my images to fit a widescreen format, so everything was distorted. There wasn't any way to display with borders or by cropping the photos to prevent this distortion. I bought a Pandigital frame instead and was much more satisfied.

Don't waste your money

Sure this frame seems like a good value... lots of features at an affordable price. You may even have scored one at some after Thanksgiving Day sale like I did for even less than what Amazon lists it ($49 at Herbergers). But features and price don't count for much if the end result is horrible. I needed only plug in my camera's SD card for one minute to see this frame is a waste. I returned it to Herbergers a day after I tried it, before I made the mistake of giving this piece as a Christmas gift. For starters, don't bother getting any digital picture frame if the resolution is not at least 800x600 pixels. The resolution on this frame is quite frankly horrible. The second major flaw of most of the digital picture frames is the "widescreen" 16:9 ratio. If you are designing a digital picture frame, would you not design it for the aspect ratio at which digital cameras take pictures??! Most digital cameras take pictures by default at a 4:3 ratio. When this frame displays pictures from your card they are stretched to the 16:9 ratio, thus distorting them. Sure there is a feature to display at a 4:3 ratio, but when I tried that setting, the frame over-compensated and squished the picture too much, thus distorting in the opposite direction! You can also run your pictures through the mill and crop them all to the 16:9 ratio as some suggest. But when you are giving this to techno-phobe people as a gift, you want them to be able to simply slap the pictures on the frame and have those pictures display correctly, without a bunch of messing around. Yes you get what you pay for, and sometimes you need to expect less. But in the case of this frame, ANY amount paid is a waste of money for what you get. I ended up buying an 8" 800x600 Westinghouse from BestBuy that was superb in every way to this Nextar dud.



Keyword : nextar

No comments: