Saturday, October 18, 2008

Sony NVU83T 4.8'' Widescreen Bluetooth Portable GPS Navigator

Sony NVU83T 4.8'' Widescreen Bluetooth Portable GPS Navigator

Used others, Sony prevails

After months of testing other GPS units, I am happy to report that this product is very worthy of purchasing for your navigational needs. After getting used to it's functions, it really works quite nicely. I like all of the information it gives you on the 4.8 inch screen. Once you have input a destination point there is nothing more for you to worry about. Just follow it and it will get you there. Sometimes it routes a little differently than I would drive locally, but everyone has their own "best way". Out of town though, it does the job fine. I like the split screen, when approaching a turn point or exit, and I really like the 3-D images in the mapping. Finding points of interest can be challenging, but usually if you have it set to the right city, it will come up with it. I don't think there is anything out there that will find everything, so keep that in mind. Hopefully they will have software updates, that will improve new points of interest.

Nice screen, but rotten routing

I've had this unit for 1 day and it will be going back tomorrow. I used it on several routes today (with the 3.0 firmware) and it insisted on using I-10 in all of my routes (which is completely wrong). In fact, it even routed me off the road I was on to go 12 miles out of my way (to I-10), just so that I could return to the same road from the opposite direction. It has a nice large screen, but if a GPS unit can't navigate, what's the point?

good gps

I bought this GPS for a month now. I think it is a very good GPS and the split screen to show the details of the junction is excellent especially you are driving in east coast. I do agree that the response is a little bit slow after you miss the turn. But i think sony can fix it in the next new update. I also owned a Garmin 360 before. but i prefer the sony one since it is more user friendly and shows more details of the road, even though Garmin has a faster response.

The best GPS

I purchased SONY nuv83T before my trip. It is very user friendly. It is very powerful and intelligent. It is the best GPS. Desktop software is not user friendly. While entering address book it ask for longitude, Latitude etc.. That normally we do not know. Upgrade firmware and backup is simple. Sony provides free firmware upgrade cd. ( free shipping)

a big disappointment

We had high hopes for the SONY NVU83T, but we have returned it after a frustrating three weeks of trying to use it. The routing was often bizarre (what algorithm routes a driver between two destinations in New York State by way of Canada?), the documentation sorely lacking, the GUI not at all intuitive, no AC adapter is included, the battery life is very short, and the suction cup didn't suction well. The display was bright and clear, but provided only a bare minimum of map data - it would have been helpful to see the names of streets we were approaching - updating after a missed turn was sometimes very slow. In case you are wondering, we did have the 3.0 firmware. I would not recommend this GPS.



Keyword : sony+gps

No comments: