Friday, October 24, 2008

Magellan eXplorist 500LE Color Handheld GPS

Magellan eXplorist 500LE Color Handheld GPS

Good and Bad

This is my 1st GPS and bought from Costco for [...]. I figured if its as bad as they say I can return it. First off, the entire connection to the USB port is a non-issue once you figure out that the moron that developed it put tabs on the plug that lead you to install it upside down. After an hour of messing with it, I tried it the other way and it instantly worked and has ever since. I think this is why so many people have problems connecting it to the PC. The unit seems to be accurate, but sometimes gives screwey distances. If you scroll thru the menu it corrects itself (dont know if all GPS units do this or not). The "windows file system" is very difficult to figure out where files are sent to and how to find them again. Its much easier to use points of interest and locate them by area, alphabetically, or by distance. This unit can use AAA or the li-ion battery which I dont have but will soon get because like other reviewers, it eats batteries quick. All in all, it seems like an OK product with some glitches. Without another GPS to compare it to I give it a 3 due to the poor file navigation interface.

I should have saved my money

I bought this as an impulse buy when I saw it on clearance at Wal-Mart for $110, marked down from $199. I had been contemplating upgrading from my explorist 210 (which I still love). OK, the battery life on 3 AAA is not good. I have used it maybe 2 hrs and have devoured 2/3 of the battery life (according to the battery indicator). All of this with the back light off. I doubt the enviroment can afford this type of battery waste. Accuracy. The unit I have has a serial number that starts with 0133. This comes preloaded with the latest firmware frim April 2007, ver 5.2.17. It will not lock, or track onto the WAAS satellites for improved accuracy. Don't expect accuracy better than 20 feet as a result. The version of firmware does not allow me to downgrade, or load in a version that works for the euro versions (and is only supposed to be used for euro ver). I understand that units with a serial number which starts with 011 do not have this problem. If I knew then what I know now, I would not have purchased this unit.

Great Unit for Geocaching

I have been using the Magellan eXplorist series for 3 years and have owned several different models. Comparing other units with the same feature set the Magellan eXplorist 500LE is by far the best bang for the buck. I have not had any problems with the unit being recognized by a PC or a MAC (I have used both). The file system is great, I can set up different routes, waypoints, and geocaches on seperate SD cards and then load the SD card into the unit for the area I am going to. Very easy. The software that comes with the 500LE is very basic, and the detailed manual is on the CD that comes with the unit (not printed). However, I have found several 3rd party applications that work great with the eXplorist series. I use Lithium-Ion batteries and find that I can get 8-10 hours of use if I watch how I use the tracking and back light features. In one of my units I use the optional rechargeable battery an I get about the same usage. I am happy with the eXplorist 500 series the unit is durable and I can trust it.

good value handheld GPS

The Magellan eXplorist 500LE is my first GPS, before I've used only Garmin GPSs. I've decided to purchase a GPS to support my work as an RF Engineer and this GPS does it jobs well. Few things I don't like about this thing, but it's very minor. If you have this, you need to purchase the battery pack too so that you wouldn't need to open its back cover to have it powered because you'll be able to recharge the battery while it's impossible if you're using 3xAAA batteries. In overall, I'm satisfied with the Magellan eXplorist 500LE.

Great geocache unit:

I purchased another 500 because they have been discontinued and they are really good for caching. The color screen is very bright and the unit is straight foward to use. And the Magellan program to download pocket queries is excellent. Keeps satelliate signals under heavy tree cover and is plenty accurate. The LE takes three AAA batteries instead of the rechargeable battery, but everything else is the same. And yes, the Magellan customer service is crap, no bones about it.



Keyword : magellan

No comments: