Sunday, October 5, 2008

Gilsson UBM Portable Car Non-Skid Friction Beanbag Dashboard Mount

Gilsson UBM Portable Car Non-Skid Friction Beanbag Dashboard Mount

Works exactly as advertised, however.......

There's no question that this product works exactly as advertised. The price is reasonable (though, I was quite surprised at the amount of S&H charges). I have a Magellan Maestro 5310 that I use in my SUV and was looking for something that I wouldn't have to continually attach and remove from my windshield. The non-skid material works great. It's simple to place on the dashboard and just as easy to store away when not needed. When not in use, I simply sit the mount on the floor behind the front passenger seat. And no suction cup marks left on the windshield! The only problem I had - and this is more personal preference than a problem with the product - is that when the Magellan GPS (w/swivel mount/suction cup) is attached to the bean-bag dashboard mount, the GPS sits up very, very, high. It more than clears the upper edge of the bean-bag portion of the dashboard mount (and, since the power cord plugs into the side of the GPS, too little clearance was never a concern). However, with the way the Magellan swivel mount adjusts, it's not possible to angle the arm down and then angle the GPS back up so that it's both viewable and flush with the beanbag at the same time. Again, that's no complaint with this product - just the combination of this product with the Magellan swivel mount is not practical. (You get the feeling that every car you pass - or that passes you - can see your GPS just as well as you can.) Not wanting to spend more money on a suitable swivel mount, I decided to try an alternative. With an SUV that has so many ledges and angles on the dashboard, I decided to use velcro strips instead - color-matched to the dark gray dashboard, of course. I simply (cut them to form and) attach one velcro strip to the underside of the GPS and another to the backside of the unit. Then attach the opposite velcro strips to the corresponding desired portions of the dashboard. Ouila!! A semi-permanent attachment, at the same level as all the other dashboard gauges, and not within eyeshot of any other vehicles. Easy to remove, easy to replace, and surprisingly simple. It works.

great product

Best thing I have bought in a long time. Works great and does what it supposed to at a very reasonable price.

A great non-skid beanbag friction dashboard mount!

This is my second attempt at getting a non-skid beanbag friction dashboard mount (or NoSkiBeFriDashMo as we call them in the GPS scene) that plays nice with my TomTom 920's stubby little suction-cup mount. The Bracketron UFM-100BL Nav-Mat GPS Friction Dash Pad does NOT work with the TomTom 920 (or any of the 700s or 900s, I assume) because the little arm on the TomTom's suction cup is so short, the GPS can't get over the big fat beanbag ring around the Bracketron mat. This means the GPS winds up angled almost straight-up, and you can't see the screen. Bogus! But the Gilsson NoSkiBeFriDashMo, which I'm reviewing here, is excellent. The mounting surface (where you attach the suction cup) lies more or less flat with the rest of the pad, so I was actually able to see my TomTom's screen. In order to test the Gilsson's NoSkiBeFriDashMo, I did some donuts in old man Cruthers's front yard, and I wasn't able to get it to budge. Glisson really puts the "Non-Skid Friction Beanbag" in Non-Skid Friction Beanbag Dashboard Mount! It is a little big - about 7" by 7", so if you're driving an embarrassing car like a Miata you're going to be even more embarrassed when you can't put the pad in your microscopic glovebox. I suggest hiding it under the seat. Finally, the bottom of the Gilsson, where the friction lives, feels really weird. I highly recommend touching it.

Best GPS Mount!

I had the greatest hopes for this product and I wasn't disappointed! It really defies the laws of physics and I'm still amazed that it works. I use it mainly for my Magellan GPS and now I can't imagine being without it. No more struggling to mount the GPS on my windshield and having it drop off 5 minutes into the trip. And I don't have to fight getting it off the windshield when I leave my car. I just toss the whole thing into my trunk after a trip and I'm done. Great little device. I recommend it highly to anyone with a GPS.

Good product

Good product, god price, fast delivery. I just wish it was not so bulky. It would be easier to pack in the glove compartment.



Keyword : magellan

No comments: