Monday, October 27, 2008

Garmin nüvi 680 4.3-Inch Widescreen Bluetooth Portable GPS Navigator (Factory Refurbished)

Garmin nüvi 680 4.3-Inch Widescreen Bluetooth Portable GPS Navigator (Factory Refurbished)

Great Value and Top of the Line

From the many reviews that I have personally read, this nuvi 680 unit's feature set is pretty much exactly the same as the current high end 7xx series units. So don't fret that it's a discontinued model. My refurbished unit came updated with the 2009 map already, so no need to update there (we don't get that luxury as refurbished unit owners anyways). It looked like it was brand new out of the box! As a GPS unit, the unit functions very well. Doesn't take too long to sync with the satellite. Typical voiced directions. Plenty points of interests (I feel like I have Google Maps in my car!) --- There are many little features that make this a great unit. Bluetooth compatability: -Easy enough to connect to my Samsung phone. -Downloads all of the phone information onto the unit! -You get recent calls, missed calls...all that good stuff, even battery life, signal. It's as good as any built-in GPS you'd find in a luxury car these days. FM Transmitter: -This was one of the features I was really excited about because I wanted to be able to listen to my own music over FM as well as have conversations over FM. Unfortunately the signal is weak and sound is staticky. It is bearable for a conversation. SD slot: -Can upload music onto the unit although you won't be able to really enjoy the playback unless you have an auxiliary input on your car! --- The value of this unit at it's discounted refurbished price is unbeatable given the feature set. The one thing I haven't tried is the MSN Direct service, but I believe as refurbished owners we DO still get 1 year of free service since an activation tag was attached to my FM receiver/power charger.

Ships from Amazon with 2009 maps!

Just got one from Amazon (refurb) and much to my delight it came with the latest 2009 maps. Good because Garmin does not do the 60 day free update with refurb models as they do with new units. As for a review, it's a very good gps with a great display. Build quality/feel is not as nice as Tom Tom, but good enough. Same ease of use as Garmin has had forever. Fold out antenna is a little annoying and the suction cup bracket gets in the way a bit. The suction cup mount seems a bit over complicated and fragile. Magellan does it muh better. A bean bag mount as was standard with the 2720 is available and I'll be getting that. Very nice unit, overall. - Geo

nuvi 680

This device offers voice directions, mp3 player, fm transmitter to your car radio and bluetooth connectivity to your cell phone for (practically)hands free operation. My phone book automatically loads into the Garmin for easy search and selection. There are many shops of all kinds listed in its vast memory. A slot for SD cards fill with MP3 music is easily accessed. The gps does have a battery life but an enterprising individual could use a mini usb connector to a 5V source (4 AA alkaline batteries with a silicon diode in series) to run it as long as those batteries lasted. I do not see any drawbacks except paying a yearly fee of 19 dollars to msn for the weather, gas prices and traffic data. Did I mention the current movies are listed and it maps where to go to see them? All in all, I am happy with this product. My wife has confiscated it from me for the most part, however. I might have to buy another at $[...] since I paid $[...] at [...] last December (2007) for the one I have now.

Might me good navigator if had removable battery

The biggest drawback of this navigator is that manufacturer is still continues to make them with no access to the battery. So how it can be a PORTABLE navigator than? Let's say you are riding a bike or hiking with this navigator, and in 4-6 hours your battery run out of juice, and you STUCK in the middle of forest? That's not nice at all! Now if you could change a battery, you just put a fresh one, and you are on your way again! The other point - once you recharge the battery installed inside the devise for 500 - 700 times it will be almost dead and not to hold a charge. What it means for you - you have to Pay BIG BUCKS for TECHNICIAN to INSTALL A NEW BATTERY. GARMIN, COME ON, FIX THIS PROBLEM, than you might have an Awesome product.



Keyword : gps

No comments: