Sunday, October 12, 2008

Garmin 010-10998-00 Foot Pod

Garmin 010-10998-00 Foot Pod

Does what it's supposed to do

I recently got a Forerunner 405 and love it. I wanted to work on my cadence, and realized I could do that with this product. Quite simply, I put it on my shoe and can see my cadence at all times, just like my heart rate and speed. I've found it to be a great training tool for my running. I have not tried using this on a treadmill or anything like that. I exclusively use this for cadence, and if you've been wanting to work on that, this is a great way to do it.

Works Flawlessly

I have my Foot Pod paired with my Garmin Forerunner 305 and am very satisfied. The Foot Pod has a plastic bracket that fits under my shoe string, while the Foot Pod fits over my shoe string. It can be a little difficult to get the two pieces to click together, but when they do they form a secure arrangement. I followed the instructions in the Forerunner manual and paired the Foot Pod with the Forerunner on the first try. Once this is done it does not have to be repeated since the Forerunner automatically detects the Foot Pod from then on. The Foot Pod measures my pace in strides per minute and also measures my distance traveled. I am a little disappointed that the Forerunner allows the distance measured by the Foot Pod to over ride the distance measured by the GPS in the Forerunner. I suspect the distance measured by the GPS is more accurate, but I can not find an option to force the GPS distance to be used while the Foot Pod is in use. Walking the same course results is a measured distance of 3.26 miles using the GPS and 3.30 miles using the Foot Pod, which I feel is good agreement. I did not have to follow the calibration instructions to achieve these results. Overall I have found the Foot Pod a great addition to my exercise equipment, especially when I am inside and out of range of the GPS satelittes.

The Pod

The foot pod looks a little cumbersome, but works well. I have it paired to my wife's Forerunner 50.



Keyword : garmin

No comments: