Sunday, December 21, 2008

Garmin nüvi 265WT 4.3-Inch Widescreen Bluetooth Portable GPS Navigator

Garmin nüvi 265WT 4.3-Inch Widescreen Bluetooth Portable GPS Navigator

The Garmin 265WT is awesome

I really don't have much to add that hasn't already been said in the other 5 star reviews. The Garmin 265WT is a great GPS that is very user friendly.

Has some cripling functionality, but overall does what it is supposed to do

This GPS is fairly easy to use for a person that is somewhat intelligent. Meaning if you give it to a person who does not easily get along with electronics, person may have to read the manual couple of times as not everything is obvious. The menus, they are easy for someone that ever used a cell phone, but could have been simpler as some features I find burred within menus and require several clicks to get to. The construction of the unit looks good and not cheap. The best feature so far was Bluetooth which sounded pretty good for me and worked without any problems. The one thing to mention is if you dial the wrong number, hitting the hang up / disconnect button does not work until someone already picks up the phone on the other side, so about 5-10 seconds delay, oops :). I have used it first time on a local highway, going to a nearby furniture store. It took me the longer route as instead of making a right and a left into the shopping mall, it had me drive past it then all the way around, adding about 2 miles and extra 10 minutes in traffic. It did the same thing going from the store back to the house, so instead of making a right out of the mall and left onto the highway, all within 200 yards, it had me make a left and drive in a huge roundabout which was very frustrating. When driving on the straight road that I need to travel on for about 10 miles, there are no splits as it is a straight highway, it keeps telling me go straight 2 miles, then in two miles it will change and say go straight 1.5 miles, very annoying and hard to tell when to change lanes if unsure of where you are going. Last thing to mention which is a huge drag on the usefulness of the unit is that you CANNOT select East or West streets, meaning if you wanted to drive to 1 East Main Street, the unit puts you into 1 West Main Street automatically, and there is no way to tell it otherwise. As a workaround I ended up using the map to add a point where I thought that address would be and then the unit routed me just fine. So my suggestion is to look these up on Google maps first then enter the destination on the map before leaving the house. When coming out of my house, it maps the directions correctly, but then it puts me off the road on the map and keep telling to get to the local road that is about 3 turns, and 1/2 mile away, so if I were lost in the local street where i live I would be really displeased. Once I get to the highway, it starts working just fine. Overall, it is not a bad unit if you need it to navigate a familiar route in traffic (cause it has free service) or getting to a new destination without having to print Google maps, and be able to locate nearby points of interest when already on the go. It does have several good features and several malfunctioning ones as well, most of which should be possible to correct with a software update, if Garmin were to acknowledge and release working fixes this would be the best and most affordable unit with a feature set that is indispensable in every GPS.

So far so good...

I bought this for my boyfried for Christmas so he hasn't used it yet but I can say that I was told it would take approx. 5 days to arrive and I got it in 2! He specifically requested this model after doing some research so I have no doubt it will live up to expectations.

I din't think I had this much to say......hope it helps

I like this product. The screen is easy to see and understand. getting around the menu seems to be a challenge at times, I'm sure that if I could find the owners manual it would help me figure this out. The list of points of interest was fairly complete, it even had the general store / gas station in my SMALL town. I used this to travel from NH to Va (Norfolk) and wanted to go the way it told me to, but it sure would be nice to be able to change the route beforehand, if desired. The traffic updates feature was nice but I have not been able to use this info to aviod the problem area yet (I've really only used this on the one trip. I'm sure I will continue to learn to use all these features along the way.) I bought this model because I had used A Nuvi 350 for the same trip earlier in the year and was inpressed with that model but decided that this model had more features which I would like as I learn to use them. On some roads the speed limit shown on the screen does not match the posted speed limit, I doubt that Garmin will cover the speeding ticket.... Overall I trust the Garmin brand, my handheld GPS is a Garmin and it has worked great for Hunting, boating, snowmobiling, etc. In the future I plan to continue to purchase Garmin porducts, not that I hope to need any for a while.

Got me to all the addresses

I bought this GPS to use when I went on a house hunting trip to Panama City FL. It found all the addresses that I entered, inclucing some new streets (less than 2 years old). Pros: Found all the addresses. Cons: The new I-10 bridge from Pensacola to Milton, has been in place for about 3 1/2 years, and it showed me driving over water. Hwy 331 was reworked last year and it showed me in the woods, and kept trying to tell me find the road, nagging me bad. Other thoughs: You have to get used to the voice it uses. It has trouble with French names here in Biloxi. Big screen helps you when driving and trying to find an adress. Closing thoughs: I have a another GPS unit that I haved used and I like this one better. Got a good deal on it.



Keyword : garmin

No comments: