Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Navigon 2000S 3.5-Inch Portable GPS Navigator

Navigon 2000S 3.5-Inch Portable GPS Navigator

Navigation is reliable, but the unit has some issues

I bought the 2090s from Radio Shack. It is simply a re-branded 2000s. One reason I chose it was the included two year subscription for "Fresh Maps". Having accurate maps is essential and map updates are expensive, so the two year subscription has significant value. My unit came with a windshield mount, dashboard mount, car charger and USB cable. The latter is needed for installing map updates and can also be used for charging the unit. Regarding charging, at first it seemed like I had a bad battery until I learned that there's a difference between putting the unit into "sleep mode" (a quick button push) and turning it off. Sleep mode will save the current state, so if you're in the middle of navigating somewhere and make a stop the unit will pick up where it left off when you're back on the road. Sleep mode though continues to draw power from the battery. To prevent the battery from going flat you have to press and hold down the power button for 5-10 seconds - then the unit will properly turn off. This is not convenient and it is not explained in the minimal documentation. I learned about it by searching the support section of the navigon web site. I find the navigation function very accurate. I've been testing by programming local destinations and observing the route choices. The GPS does not always choose what I think are the best roads so sometimes I ignore it and it quickly recalculates the route. The map display is pretty bland much of the time which I think is good (less distracting). However it kicks in the color and animation during special transitions such as approaching freeway junctions. The display and voice commands are very specific about which lanes to use to stay on route, and the timing of voice cues is accurate. The screen has a day and night mode. The brightness for each mode can be set separately, and the night mode uses darker maps which is easier on the eyes. The switch between day and night modes can be set to "automatic" however the time cannot be set. The unit switches at 6 AM and 6 PM, and that doesn't correspond well with actual sunrise and sunset times. Fortunately, you can just touch the screen and instantly switch from one mode to the other. The only function that the 2090s handles poorly is "points of interest". It nicely displays POI icons on the map as you drive, so it's easy to pick up on gas stations, restaurants, etc. nearby, however it is not possible to search the POI database using the names of specific locations. For instance, if I want to find a Starbucks in my area I can't just enter the name. I have to drill down through category menus. If I choose the wrong category I don't find the listing even though it is in the database. Starbucks is easy because there's a "cafe" category, but other stores do not clearly fall into the listed categories. This is really frustrating and if the "points of interest" feature is important to you I would consider this a deal breaker. Generally I'm happy with the unit since I primarily use it for navigation, but I'm only giving it three stars because of the poor "points of interest" feature, the lack of included documentation and sleep/battery issue.

Cant ask for much more in an entry level GPS.

I was concerned with reviews of previous navigon models, however after hearing that some of the interface and response problems had been corrected in the new navigon line, I decided to give it a shot. This is a sleek, intuitive unit. It acquires a signal very quickly, calculates routes quickly and gives great voice commands and directions. I like to set my navigon to "fast route" as opposed to optimum or shortest route. The interface is easy to use and its easy to enter destinations. I calibrated the touch screen with a stylus and it is very sensitive. Smart speller is a great time saving feature. Auto day/night mode is also very handy. Reality view and lane assist are excellent navigation tools which I want in any navigation system I purchase in the future. My only major gripe with this model is that it is NOT compatable with lifetime traffic subscriptions according to Navigon USA. There is no USB to USB mini cable included for charging with the PC, but I already had one handy. If you want lifetime traffic, go with the 2200t. I got my 2000s for under 100 [...] but im thinking about upgrading. Im going to stick with this product line. It would be perfect for me if I only had traffic capabilities I would give it five stars.

Good unit with a lot of futures

The Navigon 2000S offers advanced lane guidance and other visual aids for complicated intersections. The portable navigation device also has text-to-speech functionality and improved general performance. Satellite acquisition somteimes is a little slow

Looks great on the screen but is lacking a lot.

I took a chance on this having no reviews yet. That was a huge mistake. 1. It will only charge when the car is running and mine would not hold a charge more than 60 sec. and it would turn off. 2. You don't get a USB cable so it can charge in the house. 3. They don't have tech support for this as it is the bottom of the line. I did get a guy to talk to me who told me mine was a dud and to order up a few models. 4. I tried to set it to take me home and it missed each turn and told me after we passed the street that now I needed to turn. 5. this one had no instruction manual in the box. there is a quick start card but it tells you nothing about how to assemble the mount and attatch the unit. You have to download it at the site. 6. You have to pay $99 fee for road updates via the internet but as I said you get no cable to do that with. So mine had to go back the same day it arrived. I did find another brand that is 95 five star reviews and went with that one as it comes with everything you need the USB cable, A/C adapter CD ROM, car charger, window and dash mount and instructions.



Keyword : navigon

No comments: