Monday, December 15, 2008

Magellan Maestro 4350 4.3-Inch Portable GPS Navigator with Traffic

Magellan Maestro 4350 4.3-Inch Portable GPS Navigator with Traffic

So far, Excellent

This is my first GPS although I have borrowed others to use for some long trips. I travel quite a bit with my hobbies and interests. My wife is a horrible navigator that can't read a map and many times I am driving by myself. I find it hard to read the map and drive particularly unknown territory. In the few days I have had it, it worked like a charm. I made a trip to a friend's house in the middle of nowhere that I haven't driven before. It got me there with the exception of me turning down the wrong dirt lane which I figured out didn't lead to his house even though it looked like it did. I definitely need and want to get more familiar with using it's features. I am really impressed with the POI feature. I can't believe it has the samll town restaurants in my town. I am sure I will be hooked on this as time goes on especially in areas I am not familiar with. I picked this unit over the Garmin because of hearing so much about the lack of volume in some of the Garmin's I was interested in. I also liked all the extra features like lane assist multidestination. And the biggest being getting this unit for $250.00. I do think the documentation could be better and is definitely lacking. I can't speak to the Bluetooth feature since I am not interested in that. On a meaningless note... It would be nice to have the ability to download different voices like the other brands, but I would rather have a unit that performs than just cool features that don't really matter that much. At this point I am totally happy with this purchase.

Pleased But Cautious

My Magellan Maestro 4350 is my first GPS device. Naturally, I'm impressed with all the capabilities and I'm enjoying it. I'm looking forward to a 300 mile trip to a neighboring state in a couple of weeks when I'll give the GPS a real test....all road conditions and plenty of changes in the route. While I hate to say the product has been anything but perfect, I have to confess that I've had a problem or 2 and it wasn't like I wasn't forwarned. I've had software lockup issues. The most common is that the screen just freezes. This is remedied by a "hard" off, my term for the action of turning a regular computer off by depressing and holding the ON button. When I turn it back on, it goes through a full software boot similar to the out of the box boot. I use it approximately 3 hours a day and this has happened about every other day, maybe a little less. Then, I had the grandaddy of freezes. I actually had a Windows error box indicating that a program module had failed to close. Didn't matter what I did, I couldn't get the thing to reboot. I called customer service and probably had the best experience I've ever had with mfg. help. The advisor was polite, knowledgeable and very helpful. Most importantly, he was honest. I don't like smoke blowers...I'd rather have someone tell me the truth. I accept that not all goes well in product development and manufacturing. The gentleman told me that the 4350 and the 4xxx were new models and they were continuing to assess the issues that had been encountered...that my call would be useful in helping Magellan rectify problems...that if I encountered any additional problems please call under the refernce number I was given..etc., etc. The resolution was to "reset" the device. I'm keeping the device, comforted by the fact that I have a year to work out the bugs and believing that there will probably be a software update at some point in the next few months.

Very good GPS

I have had this gps for 2 months now. It's a replacement for my broken Sony GPS. It is fast and accurate. When I miss a turn, it takes only 3 seconds to detect and reroute. It also shows landmarks and buildings on the map. These features are particularly useful when driving in a crowded city like Washington DC. There are 2 features on my old Sony that I like it better than the Magellan. The Sony tells if the destination is on the left or right. I found this feature very useful especially when I look for a new address at night. Secondly, the Blue Tooth feature on the Sony is much better. The Magellan 4350 Blue Tooth simply terrible. There are lot of static sound and very loud. The volume control for Blue Tooth doesn't change the sound level much from max to min level. I had to go back to my Blue Tooth ear piece.

I love my new Magellan Maestro 4350 GPS

I received my Magellan Maestro GPS and am extremely happy with it. The directions and graphics are great. I particularity love the 3D screen and the easy options it has. This unit tells you the speed limit on expressways, show you the exit signs well in advance, lets you know if you are exceeding the speed limit if you want it to and the voice quides you to your turn. The search features to restaurants, gas stations, airports, etc etc are easy to use. When traveling on a main street, it displays the numbers of the buildings as you are riding past. This unit comes with a three month free trial of traffic conditions. I activated it and it actually re-directs you somewhere if there is a traffic tieup on the main route. I called Magellan for help programming my bluetooth phone into the unit. I was connected to a tech in one minute. The tech was very helpful and even told me how to add my songs from my ipod. Whoever designed this greatly improved system knew that they were doing. I would recommend this product to anyone looking for a great GPS system

A great full featured GPS

I bought the unit at a Black Friday sale for under $200.00. I tried it out on two different routes the first week and it took me where I was going with very little discrepancies in the route. It may look at shortest route to get you there. I like the idea of doubling the warranty if you are an AAA member. Also the many AAA features included in this unit make it worthwhile when you are in an area you are not familiar with. If you can get used to using the cd for instructions, use it. Otherwise print the manual for on the go reference. Great unit with a 4.3 screen.



Keyword : magellan

No comments: