Friday, December 26, 2008

TomTom ONE Portable GPS Automobile Navigator (Refurbished)

TomTom ONE Portable GPS Automobile Navigator (Refurbished)

Greay Portable GPS for the Price!

This is one of the most featured-packed portable GPS system one can get for under $200.00. I did a lot of research and decided to buy a used or refurbished One rather than get the 3rd edition which lacks a lot of features like advanced trip planning and multiple via points. I have only been using my refurbished TOM TOM One for a week but so far so good. I highly recommend it for someone who wants a simple GPS with some advanced features that may come in handy for long road trips. It is definitely a better bargain than the Garmin Nuvi 200 or Maegellal Maestro. If you can't find a used/refurbished TomTom One or One (LE), go for the Tom Tom One XL. It is the same exact device but with a wide screen. My one complaint is that the suction cup mount arm is too short. When mounted, it is quite a stretch for me to interact with the device. I think I will have to buy a ProClip mount for it and my Jetta.

Couldn't be happier!

I bought mine retail before X-Mas, so this is not a refurb review, but as far as the unit goes, it's great! I have been using it regularly in Texas since purchase and it has always given 100% accurate directions. Easy to use, love the voice navigation and the screen is easy to see in any light (including bright sunlight). We took it on the first big family trip last week and it performed like a champ. Took me straigt to every door we asked it to. We had paper directions as a backup but never had to pull them out. I have never used the traffic on it, but for navigation it's a winner in my book!

OK operation, lousy battery life

This GPS unit works fairly well if plugged into power, but it has unacceptable battery life. I charged the battery overnight twice but it still only holds a charge for about 10 minutes. The GPS functions are good, not great. If you don't arrive at your programmed destination, you are constantly alerted to keep moving unless you program a new destination. To end a destination early, you have to go several screens into the interface - very inconvenient. I ended turning off the voice directions most of the time. I bought a refurbished unit, and I have read several negative reviews of model One refurbs since, so I suspect Tomtom dumps their inferior refurbished products back on the market. Very disappointing. I will avoid refurbs and Tomtoms from now on.

An outstanding GPS but unfortunately Refurbished units are a Crap Shoot

TomTom One is an absolute delight to use in the Northwest area. Its fast, accurate, very easy to setup, and intuitive to use. But, I had to return the first two units to get one that worked. Despite the issues noted below, I would buy a TomTom again. They are really very good at what they do when they work. The first one locked up. After two hours of online trouble shooting, TomTom sent a replacement. This one worked but had to be reset after each use or it would not start. More online troubleshooting, and finally a replacement that worked. My online search indicates that about 15% of users experience the lockups and reset problem, even on new units. One gets the impression that failed units are being recycled with little or poor refurbishing. (Perhaps their repair work is outsourced?) Very well trained & friendly online support, but other than reloading faulty software, there is little they can do but authorize a replacement. If all you want or need is a simple to use get from here to there navigation without add-on frills and entertainment, you will love the TomTom One. It makes for a fun trip. However, be prepared for frustration with refurbished units. It would be smarter and much less frustrating and very worthwhile to search for a new unit at discount.

Bait and switch

I ordered a NEW TomTom One GPS from Amazon on October 2, 2007. I was sent a refurbished unit. I emailed Amazon 4 times starting October 3 to resolve the issue and had one "I am sorry" reply. I called and was told nothing can be done on the phone. I wrote a letter to Amazon on October 8, 2007 with copies of their ad advertising a new unit. It is now November 4, 2007 and I have had no reply of any type. The unit was charged to my card within within 8 hours of the order. I have a unit I can not review because I can not open the box without losing my ability to be able to return the GPS. I have no GPS that I can use and my money is gone. Amazon has made no attempt to reply to me in a month. No real service available. Careful what you buy - they do not reply. NO REAL REVIEW OF THE UNIT AFTER A MONTH AS I CAN NOT USE THE UNIT UNTIL THIS DISPUTE IS RESOLVED. EWB



Keyword : tomtom

No comments: