Saturday, December 20, 2008

Navigon 8100T 4.8-Inch Bluetooth Portable GPS Navigator with Free Traffic Alerts

Navigon 8100T 4.8-Inch Bluetooth Portable GPS Navigator with Free Traffic Alerts

Very Disapointed in This Unit

Navigon 8100T 4.8-Inch Bluetooth Portable GPS Navigator with Free Traffic Alerts I had high hopes for this unit, I admired the panarama views and thought that this might be a good replacement for my Garmin Nuvi, I recieved the unit, very minimal instructions come with the unit, If you do purchase one download the full manual from the Navigon website. I followed instructions and first message I recived was APP Navigon.exe has performed an illegal error, not a good sign, I ok'd that message turned unit off and then back on again and got an memory allocation failure. left unit off all night called Navigon tech support the next morning and all they could do was send me a new SD card. I was needing the GPS that day for a road trip so I passed on that and just decided to return to Amazon. I wont say that you will have problems out of the box like I did but I was very disapointed in this unit.

Too many resets

I had this product for a little over two weeks and during that time I had to do a soft reset 4 times. The first time the bluetooth stopped communicating with my cell phone. The second time I had to reset it to get satellite acquisition. The third time was to get the speaker to work. The straw that broke the camel's back was when it started speaking in German even though it was set to English. A soft reset was needed again. I gave up and returned it today. Too bad, I really wanted to like this product but navigon couldn't give me a satisfactory answer.

Good Image Worst product

I bought 3 units of the navigon 8100T. Each unit can not receive the signal after at least 15 minutes driving. The worst one needs to wait 45 minutes. I have to reset every time to avoid the problem. The battery power ca not last long. I have to return then all.

A little GPS with big features

I've had a chance to play with the Navigon 8100T and it seems to be a solid performer. Graphically speaking, it features a graphics accelerator that allows for almost smooth scrolling in 3D mode and even more smooth scrolling in 2D mode. The visuals are very good, especially the 3D Panorama view where you can see surrounding mountains or hills in perspective with 3D shading. In 2D mode, the display is crystal clear with a lot of detail. One of the few gripes that I have is that the fonts chosen aren't the best and sometimes hard to read. Another is that the POIs aren't always easy to find if you do not know the exact city their located in. Fortunately, there is a feature called Direct Address which allows you to set up three POI categories for direct lookup without need of knowing the city. Upon choosing one of those direct address POIs, it will return all of that category that it has in its database for the surrounding area. The 8100T features millions more POIs than its 7200T relative (one of the glaring weaknesses of the 7200T), so consequently, there are POIS all over the place on your display if you are zoomed in at maximum. There are 32 categories of POIs each with its own icon, and fortunately you can choose which of these categories you want to appear on your display so that you are not inundated with them. The unit features an autozoom which zooms out the faster you travel and vice versa. The traffic features from TMC are very good. When the unit picks up on a traffic delay, they unit notifies you with an on screen icon with distance from the delay, plus a voice announcement. You also have a choice whether you want to be rerouted around the delay area. I'm not sure if this was a bug or something, but I was traveling on a surface street and the unit told me that there was a traffic delay ahead and wanted to reroute me away from it... I didn't think that they tracked surface street delays. The unit features quick recalculations and a choice of fastest time, optimum time & distance, and shortest distance routes. The routing seemed all right with no weird directions. It pretty much tries to route you in a straight line if it can depending on your routing choices. Bluetooth pairing was a little flaky when I tried going to it from my Palm Treo 700p. Apparently it has to be done a certain way otherwise it will not pair. I had to open my phone to discovery, then when the Navigon saw the phone, it asks you to input any 4 digit code. You then have to input the exact same code into the phone otherwise it will fail. All in all, this is a very promising device. If Navigon takes the suggestions given to it to heart, many of the weaknesses could be fixed. Personally I would like Navigon to add the 3D Landscape view that the 7200T has. The graphics system would easily be able to handle it. I don't know why Navigon chose to not include that in the 8100T (they probably thought the 3D Panorama view was enough). An interesting sidenote of sorts.... Since this device runs Windows CE, some enterprising individuals added Windows CE Explorer to it and then was able to load other GPS software like iGo, TomTom, and Mio to it and be able to select which one they wanted to run. See this link here at YouTube: [...] After playing with the 8100T, I would recommend it.

Device reboots when you try to enter Navigation mode

Device reboots when you try to enter Navigation mode. I have emailed Navigon to see if a fix exists or if they will replace the item, but have not gotten any response yet.



Keyword : navigon

No comments: