Thursday, June 26, 2008

Magellan Maestro 4250 4.3-Inch Widescreen Bluetooth Portable GPS Navigator

Magellan Maestro 4250 4.3-Inch Widescreen Bluetooth Portable GPS Navigator

buy, cheap, premium, lowprice, low price, best, business, pesonal, car, auto, motorcycle, portable, position

Great, if it worked

My girlfriend bought me the magellan 4250 as a gift for our 20 day road trip around the east coast. well it seemed great until I turned it on one day and the unit froze on the bootup screen and would not do anything. i could not reset and turning it off did no good either. when the unit worked it worked well and was easy to use but it is useless if it wont boot up. if you are relying on an electronic device to give you directions i cant recomend the 4250.

Bringing it back....

Have used the unit for a week. My old unit would go into "menu" mode when you touched the screen anywhere - this one you have to touch a small box near the bottom. Should be easier. Taking it back because it will not link with my Motorola bluetooth phone, works fine with my wife's Katana. I'd keep it if the bluetooth worked. Maps are clear and readable, only goes down to 0.1 miles prior to turn, my old unit and other car got into yards prior, which I think is more useful

Great GPS, but headache for newbies

I just bought this 4250 a week ago and as soon as i received it i had it on a dry run. The first time i opened it, it was amazing...with all the features with the price way beyond best buy and circuit city it felt like a steal (and now i see that it's $10 less than i bought it last week!)! after reading the other reviews and seeing that they almost said everything nice about it, ill just share the bad side of this GPS. 1. after the first time i turned it on, my 4250 began to stop stalling on me on the opening screen. it wouldn't turn off or respond to touch even if i press the reset button. there was no way of shutting or resetting it. it happend to me several times we even thought it was the battery. it was very frustration i almost threw this thing in the air and send it back. i had to study the whole thing on its web site and manual and was later found out that i could simply hold the power button for 10 sec. to restart it. the website explained it as incompatibility issues or something...i hope it wouldn't cause major problems in the future. imagine a newbie solve this problem... 2. software update is too long. i found out that they only release updates of the map yearly. hmmm...that means any changes in the roads will have to wait on my GPS on the following year. 3. after you disconnect the GPS in your computer, the GPS would still think its connected to the computer. you would have to reset the thing to work. hmmm...i wonder how i can upgrade later if i have to keep resetting it? 3. minor case...but i hope they improve the selection of the voice command and make it easier to tell the GPS rather than speaking robotic-like to it. but overall, i love this GPS because of its price vs. product = a STEAL!

Disappointing mounting system

I couldn't believe what I found when I tried to mount this unit in my wife's van. Since it can't be mounted on the windshield (too far from the driver's position, plus a long dashboard), it would have to be mounted on the dash. Well, the dash is curved, with no flat area on it at all. The 4250 mounting bracket only is adjustable with 2 degrees of freedom - up/down, and left/right. There is no way to pivot the unit clockwise or counter-clockwise on the mounting bracket, which is what is needed for this van's dash. If I mount it as it is, the screen would be tilted about 30 degrees off of level horizontal. This seems like a nice unit, but some designer had his head in the sand when designing the bracket. The Garmin units have a great mounting bracket, so that's where I am going next.

Excellent unit!

I spent 3 months researching GPS units. I had a Garmin C330, and my major issues with this unit were satelite reception/aquisition. Tried Garmin, TomTom and Magellan. It came down to the Magellan Maestro 4250 vs the Garmin Nuvi 680. I only use my GPS once or twice a month, so my purpose was finding an affordable unit that had bluetooth, text to speech and live traffic updates. Was not necessary to spend the extra $100 on the Garmin. This unit is the best around for $250! Pros: Live traffic works well, although have only used this feature twice. bluetooth works great for me. Others have complained about low speaker volume. I do not have this issue. Phone is loud and clear to me. Satelite acqusition is VERY quick. reception is top notch. Wide, bright screen, intuitive menu. Have found that it is very accurate. Text to speech feature is great. split screen direction feature. And Exit POI is great, WITH PHONE NUMBERS! Free year of traffic updates Cons: Large, awkward mount. the unit shows that you are located before the raod even when you have passed it. (not a deal breaker, the chime sounds when you need to turn), sometimes need to turn it on twice. I would definately recommend this unit. I feel it is the best around for a bargain price!



Keyword : magellan

No comments: