Friday, June 27, 2008

TomTom ONE XL 4.3-Inch Widescreen Portable GPS Navigator

TomTom ONE XL 4.3-Inch Widescreen Portable GPS Navigator

buy, cheap, premium, lowprice, low price, best, business, pesonal, car, auto, motorcycle, portable, position

TomTom One XL review

For a Brazilian, a GPS like this is a must, driving in the USA. Except for an afternoon in Atlanta, where it put me in a loop, making turns between I-75 and I-85, it guided me safely during four weeks. It is really a big help.

Turn right in 200 feet

While this is not the best GPS navigational system out there with tons of bells and whistles, it gets the job done. Newer and more expensive models include voice recognition and text to speech features. I feel that these are overkill and not really needed, especially text to speech. How often are you able to actually read street signs before the intersection anyway? It is much easier to just be told right or left. A quick glance at the screen also shows the street name and your exit is overlayed in red. This is great for confusing highways with multiple ramps in one place. I do have two issues I do have with this device. First, it would be nice if it told you which lane you need to be in. There were several times where I did not realize the lane I was in suddenly became an exit or split into another highway. The device does try to help by instructing to exit left or right far enough in advance to get you to move in that direction. One nice feature that I really never thought about before is that depending on your speed, the device gives you more or less warning on turns. At highway speeds it gives at least 2 miles warning. But at city speeds it gives yards or feet. The second complaint is that the device saves your personal information on volatile memory and sips on the battery to keep it stored. If you do not charge the device regularly, the battery will eventual run out and your home information and preferences will be lost. I have no idea why this can't be stored on flash memory with the maps.

Bad maps

I purchased a TOM TOM One XL in November 2007. When I got it, set it up and downloaded the map update, our street was not on it. We have lived here for over 18 years and the road is one block off of an interstate in GA. While I use this unit in my Mobile Service Business, I have been sent down dead end roads as well as been told to turn right 4 times in a row and the told to turn left. This was at a major US highway intersection in Milledgeville GA. The route was taking me 1 mile to the next right turn, then 1 block / turn, then 1 block/ turn, then 1 block, then turn left, which took me right back to where I started the was told to continue straight to my destination. With the price of fuel these days, I need a more reliable unit to take me down the road. Called Tom Tom and when I asked about the lack of current maps, I was told I could purchase a new map for each of my units (Now Two) At 79.95 each, I told the operator no thanks and I would try another GPS from another Mfg. Having recommended TOM TOM units to several customers, I now have some explaining to do. The only thing the Tom Tom Operator kept saying was "I'm sorry you feel that way" Sorry doesn't make it when now I'm out the price of two of these units. Should have done my homework before I bought.....

TomTom review

Nice product. I wish there was a mechanical attachment. The vacuum or suction cup only stays attached for about 15 minutes.

This US model has worked great for me in Europe

NOTE: I bought this in the States, didn't open it until I arrived in Germany, and it has only been used in Europe. I work in Germany and wanted to get a GPS to get around without spending too much on a GPS. Obviously GPS systems with only US maps are cheaper than any dual US/Europe GPS, so I researched different brands and models that were compatible with online map upgrades. I found a great pick with the TomTom One XL. I bought the system when on sale for $200, and I bought the "Western Europe" map upgrade online for $120 (thru TomTom home). There is not enough internal memory, so I put the new map on a SD card. I had a few issues after purchase and download of the Europe map, but customer service was great (no waiting on the phone, and they stayed on with me until the issue was fixed). OK, so the new map wasn't as simple as "plug-n-play," but after 30 minutes on the phone with U.S. customer service troubleshooting my problem, I ran a flash file on my XL, I turned on the system, and after 45 seconds of searching for sattelites, the GPS was tracking my location in Germany. The interface is adequate, with large buttons on the 4.3" screen that make it easy to choose. The tracking of my location has pin-point accuracy, and when I turn on the system, it takes less than 60 seconds to locate my position. My mount is solid, and I have excellent reception without any tacky antennas. POIs are slacking, but I'm just trying to get from point A to point B. I'm a basic user. Overall, I'm very pleased with this US/Canada/W Europe GPS for only $320 total. It has been a great convenience getting around city and rural Europe, especially since road signs and names can be confusing here.



Keyword : tomtom

No comments: