Friday, June 27, 2008

TomTom GO 920 Portable GPS Vehicle Navigator

TomTom GO 920 Portable GPS Vehicle Navigator

buy, cheap, premium, lowprice, low price, best, business, pesonal, car, auto, motorcycle, portable, position

Tom Tom Is Wonderful

I purchased this product a month ago and am extremely happy with it. I have found new routes to work and some new locations around work and home. The community share feature is nice and the additional voices available make it more fun to play with. The remote control option is a nice plus. There are a couple of downsides but they are minor. The points of interest for restaraunts are not sorted by category (very minor), but you can create your own categories and sort them yourself. The second is that very few phones from sprint are compatible with the plus services. There are ways to make them work, but it is a little more difficult.

Set-up was much harder than I expected otherwise it seems great

I have a Mac and figuring out the initial set-up was much more difficult than I expected. Now that everything is set-up I am fine. I am taking it to Europe next week so I will give it a good workout up in the Alps.

A must have.

I'm not a gadget person so my review will be breif. The Tom Tom is a great unit to have, I have not been disappointed once. The remote is a huge benifit, my wife is able to make changes while I'll drive for when we need to stop for gas/food etc.

GO 920 Europe Maps Incomplete

I had a TOMTOM GO 910 and Greece was included in the European maps. I upgraded to GO 920 and expected improved maps. Greece was not included in their new maps compatible with GO 920. Plan to return unit. If they omit countries in their product upgrades I question their commitment to improved quality and functionality in their new products.

Customer Service is TERRIBLE !! and that's real important with GPS units

Some months have gone by and I feel I can give an assessment based on experience of using the unit AND using their tech support & customer support. This is the fifth GPS navigator I have owned, my first TomTom. With most consumer electronics products the after-sale support is only important when something goes wrong; with GPS units it's also critical even when the item is functioning correctly. Mainly because of map and technical updates and the complicated nature of these feature-loaded units like the 920. The other reviews have give lots of info on the technical aspects of TomTom devices, so I'll just say that it works reasonably well if you don't expect to use features like voice-entry and bluetooth syncing with your cell phone. I would give it a 3 out of 5 for operational performance. It's the customer support that really brings down the score: it's horrible! First, it takes many, many days to get an answer via email. Forget about toll-free phone assistance: you'll miss at least one meal waiting for someone to answer your call. My 920 package included a fancy certificate with computer-generated code (called "Always up to Date") that supposedly represented one year free map updates of the maps that came with your unit. That's what the certificate said, and it gave instructions how to obtain these. Problem was, it didn't work, so this initiated many email requests for technical assistance from me. First they said I had to fax them my receipt, even though this model was introduced less than a year ago and the guarantee is for one year. Okay, once that was done, the Activation Code on my certificate was apparently inoperable and the 1-year guarantee it clearly stated turned out to be 30 days. And the maps it guaranteed? only North America, not all the maps (namely, Europe) like the certificate promised. By the time all the delayed emails had been sorted out, my 30 days was up and I was out of luck. Too late to return it to the vendor, too. Everywhere I asked for advice while shopping for this GPS I was consistently told "Buy Garmin" !! Foolishly I ignored this advice and now I'm stuck with a so-so unit that has one-year-old maps. Don't make my mistake; Please !! Buy Garmin



Keyword : tomtom

No comments: