Saturday, June 28, 2008

TomTom ONE XL-S 4.3-Inch Widescreen Portable GPS Navigator

TomTom ONE XL-S 4.3-Inch Widescreen Portable GPS Navigator

buy, cheap, premium, lowprice, low price, best, business, pesonal, car, auto, motorcycle, portable, position

Fills my needs

This is my first GPS unit of any kind. Overall, I am very please with how well it works. Having it for just a month now, I am still exploring its capabilities. I had heard of problems with GPS if you don't follow its directions, but have seen none of that. If I choose a different route, say, around a traffic problem, than the one suggested, it just recalculates and shows me the way. The one thing that I can downgrade the unit on is the text to speech. While it is helpful about 80% of the time, it does have a tendency to mangle the street names. If the name is a straight up name, it has no problem. But, sometimes it destroys the name. It's a good thing that you can glance at the screen and see the written name. Without that as a backup, there are times that I would not have known what it was talking about. An example would be the street name "Pacifica". The other day I got what sounded like "pa-fee-ka". And when I drive a little north of here, it destroys the word "Sacramento". But these are really minor things and I would not say that it is a problem. Overall, I would have to rate this unit very high. I drive around finding address every day and this little thing has saved me a lot of time. I have gotten to the point that I don't even think about where I'm going, I just let TomTom take me there. It's never wrong TomTom ONE XL-S 4.3-Inch Widescreen Portable GPS Navigator

TomTom ONE XL-S

I bought this as a graduation gift for a college bound niece who historically has no sense of direction <g>. Selection was based on a) spoken directions (because I think looking away from the road at a screen is dangerous) b) 4.3 inch screen vs. 3.5 (because when you do need to look at the screen it should be easily readable c) other reviews on Amazon and CNET d) price. Initial set up was a snap. And the TomTom DOES acquire a satellite very fast. Feature navigation by report has been easier than on the parents Garmin. No reported issues with the maps and directions. A lot of GPS' went on sale around graduation time, and I still haven't seen a value proposition as good as this one.

My first GPS system.

I LOVE IT I picked the right device for me. My TomTom's interface is perfect for my needs, and the home base software installed perfectly on my Mac. Although I'm a map lover, and will most likely continue to plot my own long trips, this tool has become my savior in efficiently getting around within a very confusing metro area (Washington, DC & northern Virginia).

Great text-to-speech GPS for the price

The 4.3 inch widescreen is well worth the price premium over smaller models. Internal antenna, no flip-out one like some Garmin nuvis. The internal speaker is loud enough that I don't miss that it doesn't have an FM transmitter. Several voices included, but only a couple capable of text-to-speech. Comes with TomTom Home software which give you one free map update, and lets you download map updates from other TomTom users. The Tomtom One Xl Carrycase with strap is a little pricy, but fits this GPS well.

Poor Spoken Directions

Bought this for my parents in California, and they loved it. Until they tried the spoken directions. The text-to-speech struggled with Spanish names in and around San Jose, causing no end of missed turns and confusion. Replaced with a Garmin nüvi 260W 4.3-Inch Widescreen Portable GPS Navigator.



Keyword : tomtom

No comments: