Friday, August 29, 2008

Dream`eo Solo 20GB Portable GPS and Media Player

Dream`eo Solo 20GB Portable GPS and Media Player

It will get you where your going.

Ever gotten lost with this GPS unit, and with all the storage, I can listen to my favorite music all day long, and watch videos all night long.

It broke

I have had this for less than a year and it has broke. This is my 2nd 20 gig mp3 player in 3 years. My advice is they just don't work. Too complicated and too fragile. It is either the hard drive or the battery and they want $65 for fix it. I think i'll take $20 and buy a cheap mp3 player.

Bad device, worse service.

a bad purchase: I saw the earlier review that it was a hard to use GPS, but I was looking for an MP3 player that would hold a lot of songs and thought of the GPS as a bonus so wasn't that worried about it's perfection as a GPS. What I found was that the GPS wasn't as non-intuitive as the earlier review. It isn't in the catagory of a Garmin (which I own) or a Tom Tom (which I've used), but it is useable. However, as an media player it is almost completely unusable. If you have more than a few songs, you are likely to want to organize them in some way on the disk. I do mine by artist, then album in directories. The biggest problem is that you can only play by selecting a song, or selecting a play list (so far OK..) But you can't add directories to play lists which means a LOT of navigating and adding songs one by one. NOT a good thing if you have 3000+ songs on it. But, if you manage to actually get a playlist with a lot of songs on it, selecting the play list takes minutes to load the playlist before it starts to play (mine with 3534 songs takes 5 + minutes from the time I press play til it starts playing.. On batteries, it actually goes to sleep prior to starting, you have to wake it up several times before it finishes processing the list and starts playing. Once playing it doesn't go to sleep. But once you actually get it to start playing, be sure to lock the buttons. If not, just an accidental touch of the power button shuts it off and you have to start all over again. Of course with the buttons locked, you can't advance songs, change volume, etc. And always carry a pen or paperclip to reset it when it inevitably locks up (mostly in videos). Their Website is of little help, I found no upgrades to address these problems. They have a FAQ page, but it is blank. I posted questions to their help and haven't received confirmation of the question or help. It finally locked up completely. It now starts up and immediately suspends. If you call them on their "Free support line", they tell you to email on the rare occasion they actually answer the phone. If you send them an email, they don't respond. I called, after I sent an email and they acknowledged they had received an email, but wouldn't help me and said to wait for a reply, which.... I had to email yet again before getting a response. After a week and a half of trying to get something, I finally was told to send it in for repair. After 2.5 months, I have yet to hear back from them. I started calling and emailing support requesting a status at least once a week. After another month, I'd sent 6 emails with no replies and made multiple phone calls. The phone calls always went like: "Let me check... Yes we got your emails, what is your phone number, we'll call you back" but I never received a phone call. Finally, on Jun 4th, I got back the device about 100 days. A search of the internet will reveal that neither the problem with the device nor the problem with their support is unique.

Not a GPS unit

The name "Dream 'eo Solo Portable GPS and Media Player" is half correct. I didn't try it, but it appeared to be a great media player. However, I primarily purchased the unit to be used as a GPS, and for that use - it is severely limited. Pros- - The multimedia capabilities are very nice - not to the level of an Ipod but better than what you would expect on a GPS unit. - Seemed to pick up the satelite relatively quickly. Problems- - Not intitutive to load a new address - in fact it took me over 20 minutes to have any kind of idea on how to load a new address. Way more difficult to load addresses than other products on the market. - The screen is very dim, and nearly impossible to see while driving in daylight. - The maps are not very detailed - there is no comparison between the maps in the Dream'eo and a Garmin - Once an address is put into the unit you are not given the distance or an estimated time of arrival. - The "audible voice" for directions is nearly inaudible. The voice is very mechanical and soft - if you are not paying attention you will miss what it says. - The unit includes a stylus (and it is needed) but there is no storage area for the stylus. I imagine it would take me about 2 weeks before I would lose it. - The mounting unit's height could not be adjusted - and could not be used in my truck since it pressed directly up to the windshield. - The suctuon cup would not "Stick" to my dashboard. - I am worried that as a media player you will be limited by the unit's poor speakers. Final verdict - I am returning the Dream'eo - I feel that it mispresents itself as a viable GPS system. I had high expectations that this would be the perfect unit for me while I ravel the country - but I was mistaken. Next step - a TomTom, Garmin, or a Magellen. I am giving it a second star because it is a nice concept - but fails in its execution.



Keyword : nav

No comments: