Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Garmin 010-00555-40 Edge 705 Bicycle Computer and GPS Navigator with Heart Rate Monitor, Speed/Cadence Sensor and Data Card with Street Maps

Garmin 010-00555-40 Edge 705 Bicycle Computer and GPS Navigator with Heart Rate Monitor, Speed/Cadence Sensor and Data Card with Street Maps

Edge 705 - A cycling supercomputer...

I've logged close to five hundred miles on my Garmin Edge 705 after upgrading from an Edge 305HR that I used for nearly two years. Here's a quick review of my experience... Display: The new, larger color display is gorgeous. Improvements include removing the "title bar" present on the Edge 305 and using every pixel of this larger screen for displaying data fields that you select. The display is easy to view, without backlighting, during the day. For early morning or night rides, just a click or two to engage the backlight provides plenty of clarity while providing long battery life. Battery: So far, it's handled 2-3 hour rides with very little battery drain (including about an hour of riding at night with the backlight set to "stay on"). I see no reason, at this point, that the unit would not meet its stated battery life of 10-15 hours. Maps: Let's say that again. Maps! The ability to see where you are and to actually navigate using the Edge 705 continues to impress me. It provides detailed routing optimized for bicycles. It does this by optimizing the route to avoid major streets and other hazards. On a recent ride it routed us as far as possible on low-traffic side streets before taking us to the main street in town where we only had about 1/4 mile of riding in traffic before arriving at our destination! Very impressive and a powerful ally for bicycle commuters. Size/Weight: The Edge 705 is physically larger than the 305 and a tad heavier. Kudos to Garmin for making the 705 compatible with the 305 mounting system. Usability: Usa...what? This is a measure of how intuitive and user-friendly the device and its internal software is. Here the Edge 705 scores BIG. The inclusion of a "joystick" type input device makes entering information, changing data, etc. much easier than the 305. Nice touches include customizing the color scheme of menus and having the ability to actually NAME your various bike profiles (instead of just "Bike 1", "Bike 2", etc.). Garmin has a solid track record of releasing firmware updates that correct software glitches and/or adds features to the unit. If you want the ultimate cycle computer and a robust navigation aid for your bicycle commutes, look no further. If you don't need the color screen, detailed maps/routing, etc. - the Edge 305HR remains a solid option. For more detailed, real-world use of the Edge 705 you can learn more by visiting my cycling blog. [...]

Incredible evolutionary step for Edge

I've owned several Garmin sport GPSs (Forerunner, Edge, etc.). The Edge 305 was OK, but you couldn't really "use" the GPS until you got home and downloaded your data - after the fact. The new 705 offers a FULL North America streetmaps SD chip which takes this model to the next level and beyond. The number of options are vast, and the display, battery life, etc., are beyond belief. The 305 is still a good model, but I would not hesitate to move up to the 705, but you MUST get the North America streetmaps (deluxe bundle) or you won't fully appreciate what a great device this is. Don Montalvo, NYC

Great! but, I have discovered a problem.

I have had mine for just over 2 weeks now. I have explored most of it's capabilities. Had to call tech support twice,so far. They are wonderful but the wait time is long. The first issue was a problem with my computer's drive letter assignment which they fixed for me remotely by taking control of my computer...very strange watching someone else control your computer. The second problem has not been resolved as of yet but, I'm sure it will be. It seems as though I've discovered a bug. When I created and scheduled workouts in Garmin Training Center and then download to my 705 the dates get offset by one day. That is to say the workout I have scheduled on the computer for tomorrow has been placed in todays schedule on the 705. They had me export my tcdatabase.tcx file to them as an attachment and they tried it in their 705. They got the same result. It is not a problem with the 605 however. They are not sure at this point if the problem is in the TC software or in the 705. If you have one,watch for an upgrade to resolve this problem. All in all...absolutely wonderful unit especially if one utilizes it's full capabilities. I'm having a blast with it!

I love the maps (aka data card)!

Danbucks "-DC", it sounds like your cable ties need tightening. This is my second Garmin, (had the 205 for a few years first) I use it on both my mountain and road bike and have never had a problem with the mounting. One other thing I'd like to add to these two great reviews is that while the speed/cadence may be optional for some, the SD map data card is a must have! In my opinion, this opens up a whole new world of cycling. I have "gotten lost" with it several times, I just keep track of my miles away from home, then when Im ready to head back I just hit "go home" or "track back" and viola, The trusty Garmin takes me right to my doorstep. If it were not for this data card and turn by turn directions, there would have been no need for me to upgrade, I would have been just fine w/my 205. btw, Garmin Edge 205 for sale! ;-)

Great unit, some flaws

Rating is more like 3.5 stars: It is an expensive unit, but there's not much on the market that has so many features. Most early adopters will have fun playing with this device. It is remarkably light given the number of features - in fact, it is as light as my small previous computer, given its cadence sensor was wired (wire weight adds up quickly). First, the positives: -installation on Mac OS X was flawless - the SW has some major issues (below), -device setup (both HW and profiles) was trivial -customizable screens on a LOT of data. The negatives -I doubt (no trials yet) the battery will last 15 hours with the backlight on, even for brief moments. I think Garmin knows this, which may be why the unit will not remember your backlight % strength setting: it will drop to 0% each and every time you sync the unit -The screen is all but unreadable without the backlight at 100%, and, even then, is hard to read, in a common case: when the device itself is in shadow (your own, cast over it from riding on the hoods of a road bike), but full sun is out (presumably the rider is wearing sunglasses) -The mounting bracket is the weakest I've seen in a long time. There's a huge amount of play between the unit and the mount - and it's all plastic, with a single tiny plastic "foot" that keeps the unit from flying off - so: at least on my road bike, it rattles quite loudly on occasion (on pavement). The mount itself will quickly starting rotating around the handlebar (horizontal mount) unless you carefully place your own compression in the right places by the cheap plastic ties included. -There's no temperature reading. This is quite strange, given the unit is feature rich, and the barometer should be temperature compensated. -As the prior reviewer commented, the prebundled street maps are unviewable in Garmin Training Center. Since this is where you would add course notes (I am not sure of their purpose: they don't appear on the unit as far as I can tell), where detail matters, it makes course notes - and all the map viewing - really weak, as far as I can tell. On OS X, there is not option to overlay on Google Earth (presumably Windows users can). -Even though it's somewhat pointless due to lack of accuracy, there's no estimated power. One must purchase ANT+sport enabled power units separately. The current list are good ones, but they are very expensive. -SW has a few bugs here and there, especially GTC, and Garmin Connect ... even a few on the unit. I am sure these will be fixed in several months or so.



Keyword : gps

No comments: