Friday, August 22, 2008

Garmin eTrex Legend HCx High-Senstivity Color Mapping Handheld GPS


Garmin eTrex Legend HCx High-Senstivity Color Mapping Handheld GPS

Quick lock on but far to sensitive

I've owned this and the previous CX. The HCX locks on to satellites very quickly and hold the signal indoors or in built up areas. Very good for hiking and the like. Trouble is that I mainly use the trip computer functions and the display is too volatile jumping around between speeds. Not good as a triip computer, buy the less sensitive CX for canoeing, biking etc.

Garmin Legend GPS

I like it. I kinda wish I had sprung the extra $ to get the Vista to get the digital compass. If you are not moving, you can not really tell the direction. Other than that, I very pleased. Easy to see at night as well as bright light. Button function takes a some practice and coordination, but not too bad once you get use to it.

Way too complicated for a casual user!!!

I love Garmin (Ihave a Nuvi 350 and it's GREAT), BUT I returned this unit due to a faulty chip that kept switching modes, etc. When asked if I wanted to exchange for the same, I declined, as the item was not easy to navigate i.e., user intuitive. I'm sure that some programmer had fun, however I don't want to devote the rest of my life trying to use it!

I can't put this thing down!

I use my Garmin eTrex Legend HCx almost on a daily basis. It's true what people say about the base maps; they're not really good for getting around. With that said, this thing comes alive when you install the City Navigator Maps. Turn by Turn directions (not spoken), Points of Interest Locator, find and route to an address, locate a restaurant and more. Great example of use: I was not in my town and needed to find a Bank of America ATM so I wouldn't have to pay ATM fees at both banks. I whipped out my eTrex, clicked Find then ATM and it showed me all banks with the closest first. Scrolled down to the first BOA and clicked Navigate and the Turn by Turn directions popped up. Awesome. I also began Geocaching with my kids. We love it. Nothing better to a kid then finding hidden treasure. I am an avid mountain and dirt bike rider so I also own the handlebar mount on both bikes. Flying down hill and blasting across rocks, mud, and water this thing stays with me. I take the recorded Track and upload it to my favorite trail riding websites using the GPX format. There is plenty of onboard memory to save your "Tracks" and I never filled it with any ride I did. But I bought a 2G micro SD just in case. (I believe you'll need the SD card if you install any maps.) I am knocking off 1 star because my eTrex shuts down while dirt bike riding (not mountain biking). I am pretty extreme and do intense climbs over rocks which are jarring. Jumping down cliffs with harsh landings must be shaking the batteries loose and causing the unit to shut down. I've googled this problem and other people have experienced this too. There are workarounds with which people have had success. Like I said, on the mountain bike, it works great. Overall though, if you're in the woods a lot but still want to get somewhere using your car, the eTrex Legend HCx is a great unit. I am very happy with my purchase.

Best all around Handheld

Either you wanna go on road or off road this is the way to go, Great maps, great load times. this thing does everything thing!!. Been doing Geo cashing for a month now and ITs pin point accurate. You can go wrong



Keyword : garmin

No comments: