Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Garmin StreetPilot i5 Portable GPS Navigator

Garmin StreetPilot i5 Portable GPS Navigator

Not that great

I have had this product less than 1 month. I will exchanging it on Monday. It has already gone out. It was used less than 5 times.

Truly loved it for the 18 months it lived.

I purchased two of these GPS units for Christmas when we first moved to Georgia from California and they proved invaluable since we couldn't find anything. But, now, after less than 18 months, one of them only is "searching for signals" and never gets us anywhere. My husband went on the Garmin's website and replaced the batteries and reset the unit and it worked one time after that. Today we had to use my cell phone to get us to a birthday party in Atlanta and home again. Over a 1 1/2 drive that should have been much easier on the driver - me. We had to use my cell phone to get us back from Chattanooga a couple of weeks ago. Why does my cell gets a satelite, but not my GPS? I feel like this was a lot of money to have to replace one of the units already. It certainly isn't going to be with another Garmin. I asked my daughter-in-law how her's was working and she said "okay" but does lose the signal frequently but comes back. It's like ours went out for lunch and got lost - and now we are getting lost too! I'd check around before settling on this unit. The extra money is probably worth it. This one won't route you around traffic problems, either - when it even works! I paid $280 each for mine.

CAN'T LIVE WITHOUT IT!!

You will hear it a million times (or as many times as there are people who have GPS's) once you have one - especially if you travel often to unknown places (midwives, salesmen, weddings, vacation spots, etc), we don't want to travel without our GPS's! I have only used one - the Garmin - so I can't compare; but my daughter has a TomTom, and says she likes mine better than her touch screen GPS. I will tell you that this one being small is not a big help, because it's harder to read than the big ones (I mean while you're driving and need to keep your eyes on the road). It would be nice to have the voice state the name of the street, instead of just having to read it on the unit, but that's not been much of a hindrance. Also very important is the customer service you get with Garmin. Again, I don't know about the other brands, but the Garmin people are really there for you. I even got a free update ($60 value), when I called with a problem with wrong turns. And speaking of wrong turns, if you detect a glitch in Garmin's directions, there's a site you can go to and write a correction which (they say) they take into consideration when writing another update. Altogether, I LOVE (like alot) my GARMIN. I laugh at the commercial where the guy tells his that he loves "her"....!

after much research and debate

this gps is absolutely worth the money. I vel-cro'd it to my motorcycle and have had no problems at all. It does everything I need it to and more at an inexpensive price.

small and suffice

fit in the glove compartment, does the work of helping my wife get where she needs



Keyword : nav

No comments: