Monday, August 4, 2008

Garmin MapSource Topo U.S. 2008

Garmin MapSource Topo U.S. 2008

Topo 2008

Good, but wish it included street addresses even though it's a topo. Very easy product to use!

Not hardly worth it for the Idaho Panhandle

1.) The fire road data is woefully incomplete, and some of the roads it knows about don't actually exist, which shouldn't happen as road beds just don't just disappear overnight. 2.) The colors are such that it's tough to distinguish a fire-road from a primary elevation line. 3.) It can't navigate to trailheads on fire-roads. 4.) Even if you buy a big memory chip, the software will only let you move a fraction of the US to your GPS. And if you want to change maps, you get to start over, which could be an hour-long download to your GPS. All in all, I wish I'd investigated some of the free topo tools and data rather than buying this.

Astoundingly Inaccurate in places

I wanted something other than the base map that is built into my GPSMap 76CSx. I admit that I have not spent much time with this so far, but my initial impression is pretty bad. Until I ordered this product, I had been driving around San Diego, recording my tracks. When I loaded this product, I was startled to see how far off my tracks are in some places from the roads indicated on the map. For example, the east end of Sorrento Valley Blvd is pretty good. The west end of this road appears in this map a full 1000 feet (Yes. One thousand!) to the south of the actual road! It's not like there is an overall shift of coordinates or anything like that. The roads are right in some places, and then just wander off.

Garmin topo

Software is sort of diffucult to Map your area. Easy download to the Garmin unit.

Very Good Topo Map Data Base

I use this software on my Garmin etrex hand held GPS for hiking. No matter where I hike the map base covers fire roads, or any well established hiking trails. It shows streams as well as any other bodies of water, etc. Very pleased with map data base.



Keyword : gps

No comments: