Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Sanyo Easy Street NVM-4070 Bluetooth 4.3-Inch Widescreen Portable GPS Navigator

Sanyo Easy Street NVM-4070 Bluetooth 4.3-Inch Widescreen Portable GPS Navigator

Amazon Great, Sanyo?

Sanyo Easy Street 4070 GPS 'will be' a great GPS navigation system WHEN Sanyo gets their quality control working. I tried out the Sanyo 4050 about a year ago and loved it, but went for the Garmin 360 because it had Bluetooth and audible turn directions, speaking the name of the street (better than 'turn right', because your eyes don't have to leave the road). It downloaded my cell phone book seamlessly. My son wound up with the Garmin 360 (Garmin has password protection. If it's stolen, it's useless to the perp). Sanyo has now come out with the amazing 4070 Easy Street (or will be when Sanyo gets some quality control) with the perks that the 4050 did not have, so I ordered one from Amazon, which I received in record time - two days. Sadly the Sanyo 4070 failed out of the box. Audible turn directions did not work, it would not connect to my cell, and when I tried to type my street address, after two letters, it jumped to the street beginning with those two letters. I spent several hours trying to get it to work (Sanyo's customer support seems to be non-existent). The phone # on their site led to dead ends and when I emailed the address on their site, I did not even receive the usual automated response. I sent it back to Amazon who sent me a replacement even before the first one reached them (what great customer service). Alas, I regret to report that the replacement was also defective. Audible turn directions did work in this one but the "Communication" mode failed, as did the first one. I didn't even try the photo or music mode as they also were not 'highlighted.' Again, I repeatedly was unable to raise any response from Sanyo. This is amazing, since they have a great GPS, but hey, this old Marine needs support. Again, Amazon came through like the pros they are. I spoke with Steve and received the kind of customer service that you only dream about with many on line companies (or major brick and steel corporations). Without 'selling' me, Steve answered all of my questions about the new Garmin 760 (It's due to arrive tomorrow. I'll review it later). Steve not only sold me the Garmin 760, but sold me several accessories which I would have regretted not getting later, as they did not come with the Garmin 760, especially the memory card for pictures of my grandchildren. Steve could not have been more helpful. As I said, he didn't 'sell' me, he 'helped' me. I suppose, if he had, I probably would not have purchased the Garmin right now, as it cost a little more than the Sanyo. Semper Fi! Signed, a faithful Amazon customer

Great Navigation...Terrible Hands Free Device.

I bought this GPS unit because I have a Sanyo phone that uses the same navigation format and it is familiar to me. However, I needed the bluetooth capability more than the GPS to comply with CA driving law. The primary phone used with this device was a Samsung M520 and the call clarity was terrible on both ends. I thought routing the call through the car speakers would help and the FM tuner was decent. The problem was that I could not get any MP3 files to play on the unit and could not enjoy any music between calls. The call clarity with my Sanyo phone was much better, but it would often times not sync up and I would have to soft reset the Easy Street before it would finally sync. As a hands free device this unit is 1 star, but the navigation aspect was just what I expected and averages this rating out to 3 stars.

slow and non-intuitive

Briefly, this navigator is slow, is not intuitive to use, and frequently gave directions that were not only what one would normally drive but sometimes just wrong. It has a nice sized screen, and the non-navigator features are good. The traffic was also not accurate when I used it for a couple of weeks.

Great GPS at this price!

I paid $190 thru Amazon. It's a great gps for this price. Pros: 1. Nice bright screen (no glare issues) 2. Bluetooth works well - incoming and outgoing sound is clear with no static; pairs easily with my phones (I have a Motorola Razr and Treo); imported my entire phonebook from the Motorola but not the Treo; unit pairs with phone automatically at start up 3. Navigation works well, but compared to my Magellan Maestro 4040 - not as intuitive, slower signal pickup, and no signal when I am in my garage (not that I need signal in the garage). 4. Nice black piano finish and solid stand (mine was made in Germany). 5. Good Price - $190 for a 4.3" gps unit with bluetooth that works Con: 1. Battery life is not 7 hours, you need to keep the charger plugged into the cigarette lighter. Mine ran out of charge after only 2 hours. 2. This unit has a lot of features and is not as intuitive as my Magellan. You really have to spend the time to play around with all the functions. Once you have it figured out, it works really well. I highly recommend it for anyone who does not work to spend more than $200 on a gps unit, wants a 4" or bigger screen, wants bluetooth that works well, and who does not mind spending the time to figure this thing out. Hope this review helps.

Wonderful GPS Device

I really like the Sanyo 4070. I feel it is a wonderful device. It is the first GPS unit I have owned...not the first I have used, but first to have owned. I really have not had any problems with it. All the features work wonderful...MP3 player, Video Player, FM Transmitter, POI's. The tracking itself has been great. It is quick to adjust your route if you miss a turn. I will admit that when you turn on the unit, it does take a while to triangulate your position. And as with some complaints, everytime you turn it on, it asks for the date and time. This could be a pain, but if you just skip over this and let the unit connect to the sattelites, it will update the date and time automatically. I have has the unit for only a few weeks, so I am sure there will be things that I will find I do not like about it, but in the same regards I will find more things I like about it. Oh and one last thing....for the people that complain that Sanyo does not support the product and does not even have it on their website. Please, simply do a google search and you will find... [...]



Keyword : nav

No comments: