Saturday, August 30, 2008

Cobra Electronics Nav One 2500 Mobile Navigator

Cobra Electronics Nav One 2500 Mobile Navigator

Okay but there are better ones out there

Pros: Works most of the time. Will get you there. Cons: No internal battery, must be plugged in to be used. Slow. Unit shuts off for no reason. Some routes are definitely the long way around. Did I mention slow? I've owned the Cobra NavOne 2500 for over a year now. It is the first GPS system that I ever used. The unit is fairly easy to use, the menus are relatively intuitive with some quirks. In order to load a destination you must first pick a state then start entering the street address, number first. As you enter the street name the choices of letters on the entry screen adjust so that your chances of mis-spelling a name decreases, pretty good feature with the following glitch: the unit searches its internal state database as you're entering the name, in New Jersey, where I live it isn't a problem but when I travelled to Florida last summer it made address entry excruciatingly slow as the unit tried to match what I typed to its internal database. In some instances I thought the unit had frozen. After the street name is entered the unit then gives you a list of towns in the state that have that particular street name. Most of the time the town name is shown but sometimes you have to hit the "more" icon to get an additional list. It seems odd that the unit doesn't display all of the possible choices right off the bat. All of the previous destinations that you enter are saved. I haven't ran into a memory problem yet even though I have 10 addresses in the database. As with other users that have GPS units I checked its accuracy by using it around my area. Results varied WIDELY!! Most times it would find the most direct route and sometimes it would take me way out of my way. In looking at the wider map the roads that are the most direct route were in the database but the unit refused to go that way. Since this is the first GPS unit I owned I didn't realise how slow it is. When the unit is first turned on it takes over two minutes to start up then load the maps. When you make a turn that doesn't follow its instructions it takes anywhere from 30 seconds or longer to recalculate a route. In comparison, my daughter's Tom Tom flashes the new route in under 15 seconds. It's not a bad unit but there are better ones out there. I was surprised to see the price! Way too much for a unit that's a generation or two behind the times.

Cobra NAV ONE 2500/2100 GPS

If you travel the roads across the USA, please do not buy this unit. I am a professional truck driver, and I have had nothing but headache after headache using it. The GPS is too slow, so you are actually past an off ramp or exit when it shows up on the screen. It will take you off a major Interstate, drive through small town streets with stop lights, and then put you back on the exact Interstate it just took you off of. When it recalculates, it will freeze the screen, you cannot turn it off or change the touch screen, your only option is to unplug it. You have to watch the screen carefully, the voice command will tell you "bear right", when actually you go to the left, or it will tell you to turn when you make no turn at all. I could go on and on, I have updated it, returned it for a new unit, still the same problems, I paid way too much for it at a truck stop and they will not refund my money, so please do not buy this junk from Cobra. I only gave it 1 star because the software made me, if I could have I would have given it a -5.

Works ok, but has similar problems common to others

I have had the cobra naveone 2500 for about 4 months now. I was looking for a lower end unit with a lot of points of interest and one that covers Canada and the US. Mine came with an ac adapter, 12 volt cord & windshield mount. Others have an internal battery power source that would have been a nice feature. As with many reviewers on other gps units this has similar flaws. In an area you are familiar with it seems to take you on round about routes at times to reach your destination. When you are in an area unfamiliar it will get you there. I mainly bought the Cobra because I heard it locked on to satellite fixes faster then some other brands. It will do this within 30 seconds most times. When driving through a tunnel it re-acquires the sattelite position in about 5 seconds when you have a view of the sky again. A couple of strange anomolies I have found occur everytime at the same locations. When driving on a Vancouver expressway in 2 areas the voice command tells me to exit but you can clearly see on the map its routing you off the exit, across the intersecting road and back onto the same expressway again. One intersection,the voice promt will always tell me, right turn ahead but the map and arrow indicate a left turn. Id say if you follow the map its 99% accurate, the voice command maybe 90% accurate so always refer to the map or turn by turn list. I updated the unit with Cobra the first week I had it. There were 3 updates issued in the time mine was manufactured and sitting on the shilf in the box. A Walmart store and the road into it that were built just over a year ago do not show up yet on the map. Another reason I chose this Cobra over the Magellan was that there customer service was good. Originally intending to get a magellan but once I started reading reviews , quickly heard nothing but horror stories about there customer service with Magellan. All in all the Cobra works well enough for me. It offers more points of interest stored in memory then most others in the price range and does aquire sattelites very quickly as I was told. I have read a lot of reviews from Magellan, Garmin, Tom Tom and other gps units and all have very similar complaints regarding routing and anomolies as metioned on my local expressway. I think gps units have a long way to go yet till they are 100%efficient. GPS units are not as good as I had expected but are still too valuable a tool to be without. I will be travelling across the US a couple times this year and will really be able to put the Cobra to the test.

I like it

It's Simple To use and the voice is clear as a bell. It lets you know if you're turning left or right ahead of time so you're prepared and when you get to the exact spot for the turn it beeps. And... If it's so hard to remember what direction was told to you a minute ago, there's a directional arrow at the bottom left which points in the turn of your direction. If you miss your turn the system reconfigures to where you are and will direct you from there. Again, I like it.

Poor item

I decided to try the 2500 after trying the 4500 and returning it (Why? I have no idea!) The unit is a small, but the interface is really bad. The 3D graphics are POOR! The unit does not tell you to turn when you are supposed to, at the actual turn, instead it beeps. If you are approaching a turn, it will tell you announce the following: "In 0.2 miles, turn left" When you get to the actual turn the unit just beeps, with no turn direction, so if you don't remember if you had to turn right or left when the unit announced it 1/4 mile back, tough luck. Look at the screen. The screen rendering is also bad. The unit I tested, when the route was claculated and displayed, all streets not on the route (side streets) were not displayed. Even though these units tell you to turn left right etc., sometimes two streets are close together and you need to glance at the display to see if you are turning on the first or second street. So if the side streets are not displayed, you have to guess which is your turn. Also, many times the unit will tell you that your destination is left, when it is on the right and vice versa. The maps are horribly outdated with many streets no longer in existance still being directed to. Also, a lot of streets already in existance for years are not on the system. Spend an extra $100.00 and get a Garmin Nuvi with text to speech turn directions and a whole lot of other stuff. Stay away from Cobra products. They make great radar detectors, but make horrible GPS units.



Keyword : nav

No comments: