Saturday, August 30, 2008

Nav-Cam 7000 Portable Satellite Navigator

Nav-Cam 7000 Portable Satellite Navigator

Not a good GPS

I've owned this GPS for a little under a year. Yes, it has definitely helped, however, here is what I wrote to the manufacturer. I uploaded the software update a couple of weeks ago and I am dismayed at the results. The previous version could display the distance to the next turn, distance to destination, time to destination, next street, and turn arrow. Why can't this one? It is not possible to display the distance to next turn for instance if you had the others up because you would have to give up something. In addition, the voice is being truncated (this problem has gotten worse). So lets say you are continuing on I-4, it would say, "continue on I....." and cut off the rest, or "if it wanted to say continue for 104 miles" it would say "continue for (BLANK) miles" or just stop at "continue for". I thought the software update was there to fix these problems? If you enter an address, it could give you up to 3 separate choices for a street name - each of them is valid because it is the street, but if you choose incorrectly you could be BLOCKS away from the destination. As an example. Enter 537 Hampshire Lane And as you type Hampshire Lane You get Hampshire Lane Hampshire Lane Which do you chose? If you chose the incorrect one, it will put you in different block (even though you are on the correct street). One time this problem put us 2 miles from the destination even though the unit was telling us we were there. We had to troll up and down the street in two miles in either direction before we finally found it. Why, if the building number is entered would it take you to the wrong block? Why does it not enable you to enter the whole address and then let you chose the block? This is by far the worse problem that we have faced. And lastly, I had a couple of occurrences where I am driving down a street and I KNOW that I am supposed to be on that street for several more miles when the directions tell me to make a right turn. Then about 100 feet past that right turn, it tells you to make a U turn and then another right turn. You can clearly see on the map that you are going to make 3 stupid turns. On a street which is obvious that is easy to catch. But in a city or someplace that you are totally unfamiliar with, that is just unacceptable. Put your money on another brand, their units suck.

Not even worth 1 star

Don't waste your money even 99c. It only causes you headache and frustration. I don't understand why Sams carries this. The first time I tested it I entered the street name and it did take me to that street. That was it. Driving on that street it kept on telling me "Turn left then turn left", and then "Turn right then turn right". To where? Who knows? Entering the street number and address to test it the second time whatever I entered was just there. It didn't tell you it could NOT find it. There is no enter button, and no feed back from the program. What a good program! That's what happened when I entered my parents' address (build more than 20 years ago). The third time we entered my friend's address (build around 5 years ago), it could NOT find it either. Also, it takes a QUITE while for the gps to get its signal. I went to the manufacture web site to down load the new software and it now could give you some feed back like "No match" to let you know it can't find the address. Also now it can find my parents' address but still tells me I am there even if I am still 2 miles away. Yesterday, my girl friend and I tested it again driving from my house to my parents' one (about 5 miles apart). I could get to my parents' house while it haven't yet found the location of the destination. This is the worse electronic device I have ever used.

not so good

Received this as a gift. I'm a computer programmer and generally very adept at figuring out how to use gadgets. However, the printed instructions are minimal and the instructions on the accompanying CD are just as minimal, which is to say they are entirely insufficient. So far I have only attempted to use the navigational features. I tried briefly on three separate occasions to enter a location to drive to and did not succeed. Frustrated, I gave up after about 5 minutes each time. On the fourth occasion I finally realized that it had not accepted the address as I entered it. There was no feedback indicating the device could not find the street name, so I did not know I should try an alternate naming convention (i.e. spell out SOUTH instead of using S for an abbreviation). So now I can enter addresses. Hooray! But wait, I still have some complaints. The device often doesn't keep up with the vehicle position. I'll be driving at 40 mph on city streets or 65 mph on highways, and fairly frequently the map stops updating and appears to be stuck. This happens when I set it to simply follow our location and also when I enter a drive-to address. It's more obvious with the drive-to address because it shows the calculated route in green, but when it loses our position the green abruptly stops and does not indicate how the path should proceed. It's also painfully obvious when I enter my home address as the drive-to address. I'll be driving along and thinking it's doing a good job, and then, for no apparent reason, it may tell me I need to turn onto a street several seconds after I already turned onto the same street. I haven't actually tried to use it to get to a location I don't already know how to get to. I worry that it may be very frustrating to have to backtrack because I've missed a turn on a busy highway.



Keyword : nav

No comments: