Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Nav 740 4.3-Inch Widescreen Portable GPS Navigator

Nav 740 4.3-Inch Widescreen Portable GPS Navigator

Don't throw away the map

I bought this because it can also play movies which is cool when you have 200 or more miles til the next off ramp. Comes with AC,DC and window mount. The units map impressed me because it had My Parents street and Map Quest on the internet did not. It helped us getting out of vegas when I missed the exit. It is spastic at times and has to reboot now and again. So keep your paper Map for study prior the trip. I have the maps and movies on separate cards have tried up to 8gb SDhc card which failed after a week (but it was a bargain brand) I think 4GB SD is the safest I will buy from now on. We traveled from Michigan to Phoenix, Vegas and back. We had it playing through the stereo for the movies which rocked. I converted several AVI movies for the 4G card. Still happy and it has been dropped at least twice and still functioning. I own a Mac but have access to PCs. If you have a decent card reader you can transfer map info and unlock the device without a PC. I haven't tinkered again with it since I mainly use it as media player and Gps second.

No Mac or Linux support

This may work well for those on the dark side, but what the documentation doesn't tell you, unless you dig for it, is that the DVD and CD that come with it are only compatible with Windows computers. It used to be that Windows people were proud of the products they support, but if a manufacturer won't even tell the consumer that their products are OS limited, well, you get the picture. Stay away from this.

Good GPS, but Needs Better Instructions

I enjoy the mapless world the NAV 740 allows, but it would be helpful to have a better manual. I used it on a recent trip, and it definitely got us where we were trying to get, but sometimes took a route we weren't expecting. I'm not sure if it is going for the quickest route or least miles (or some other alternative.) The yellow pages were nice when we were looking for restaurants nearby and not in the mood for fast food.

Needs Fixed

I received it on time but no book with it. I had trouble downloading the book and had to contact them. They then let me download the book. I find it hard to program and it appears the battery on it won't work. It will not work unless plugged in. After it is unplugged it loses all information and it has to be reset every time including time zones and all settings. As a result when I stop at a gas station it has to be completely reprogrammed each time. It is slow starting up and I never know whether it is right until I drive for about 4 minutes.

jst ordered nav 740 gps

thanks to pc magazine and alot of self-research i decided to order nav 740 gps i'm yet to see how it is..i had a fine drive 400 gps and it's the worst unit ever made..



Keyword : gps

No comments: