Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Garmin StreetPilot 7200 7-Inch Portable GPS Navigator

Garmin StreetPilot 7200 7-Inch Portable GPS Navigator

Great piece of equipment

I've had my 7200 for over a year now and it has been put through the works. I'm a state trooper in a rural area. I don't go to work without it now. If I forget it I go back home and get it. Besides having a great screen that is easy to read while driving at high speeds, it will also display the 911 address on a side box. All of the extras like xm radio, audio books, mp3 player just make it that much more useful for those long nights when there aren't so many people out and about. One of the more useful features is the "Where To" feature. The 7200 has a touch screen qwerty keyboard that the letters are big enough because of the larger screen to enter streets, cities, addresses safely. No, it is not recommended this be done while driving in heavy traffic, but sometimes it is necessary because of the nature of police work. One of my favorites is the "Go Home" button. That gives me peace of mind when my wife has taken a trip to the "big city" and it does simply what it says. Part of the initial installation is programming what the user considers their home address. Push the "Go Home" button and that's where you are going. No scrolling through check points, favorites, reference points, or entering addresses. The 7200 comes loaded with the maps installed and unlocked. No more unlocking maps and being limited by memory capacity. I recently spent a stint on border security that involved 13 hours a day in a patrol car, patrolling some very remote areas. If I hadn't of had my 7200 to keep me mentally stimulated during those long days it would've been more mind numbing than it was. As it were I learned about the Battle of Okinawa in Bill Sloan's excellent book "The Ultimate Battle" and "Washington's Crossing" by David Hackett Fischer. All of that being said, the Garmin 7200 is not a MAP! It is loaded with an unbelievable amount of information and its routing capability is first class. The Garmin 7200 doesn't, however, know where bad neighborhoods are, it doesn't work if your car's electrical system quits, and it doesn't change flat tires. Electronic equipment is making our lives easier and safer, but it isn't the end all. Anybody who takes to the roads for any trip needs to plan ahead. All of the checking tires, oil, gas gauge, fluid levels still need to be done. There are some bad people in this world and they look for people who put themselves in bad spots and are easily taken advantage of. One of my favorite learning points as a trooper was stopping late at night with what appeared at first glance to be a blonde female looking under the hood of what appeared to be a disabled vehicle. When I stopped and turned on my takedown lights the blonde woman stood and turned into a 6 foot something outlaw motorcycle member with felony warrants. I strayed from the topic, but I meant well. Technology will never take the place of good common sense. I don't think they sell that at Amazon. The only feature the 7200 doesn't have that I wish it did is NEXRAD weather radar. The weather feature of the 7200 uses weather symbols that are similar to those seen on weather forecasts from the 1960's.

Usage

I was an early Garmin customer but strayed over to TomTom (big mistake).Garmin mapping is by far the best and I AM BACK.

Garmin 7200 GPS

I purchased the unit for use in my motorhome. The screen size is perfedt and the unit is very easy to operate. I highly recommend it!

Easy on the eyes...

There were a number of reasons that went into my decision to get the 7200, not the least of which was its size. I had previously decided on the 7500 because of the dead reckoning ability, but that is an option that must be hard-wired to a single vehicle and actually makes no sense on a portable unit. Before I go much farther I would like to clarify something: some reviewers have incorrectly stated that there are no street names displayed on the 7200/7500 units. Don't you believe it! As with other units not every street name is displayed, but many are. You will find fewer street names while using 3D mode and more if using 2D mode, but street names are there!!! It's funny, but I knew how large a 7" diagonal screen was before this thing arrived and yet it still managed to look big to me. I think it's because the items being displayed are all large. What I mean is that even though the screen is about twice the size of most other portables you don't get twice as much information on the screen...in fact, you get just about the same; things just look bigger. That, I am sure, is in keeping with Garmin's intended purpose for this unit: large trucks and buses where the unit is located pretty far away from the driver. I purchased the XM radio antenna along with this unit so that I could have traffic updates as well as good programming while travelling. Having a remote control in addition to a touchscreen is a nice thing and should be offered by more manufacturers, but I'm sure it won't be. In case you're wondering, yes you can use this unit with a bean-bag mount. That is precisely what I am using and it works just fine, despite comments by some folks who claim it won't work. Garmin makes a good bean-bag and it's up to the task! The first time you turn the unit on it takes a good bit of time for it to get its bearings, but after that you'll have fairly short start-ups. I purchased a Gilsson external antenna for $16.95 and am quite astonished at the difference it makes. The Garmin antenna is almost $60.00 and will do the same thing. When looking at the GPS details page the bars go from few and small with no external antenna to many and almost 100% filled in with the Gilsson attached. I actually bought the antenna so that I could locate the GPS on the transmission hump rather than on the dash...it certainly works for that. Now that gasoline is obscenely high priced, being able to navigate around traffic jams, via XM and Garmin, is a more compelling argument than ever before; and the 7200 is at a very attractive price considering what you get. Now, if it only had BlueTooth...!

Garmin Streetpilot 7200

Thanks for the great service and prompt deliver. Purchased from Beach Cameras on Amazon.com. Saved over $200.00. This GPS is fantastic. Great for our RV. Large screen easy to see and program. Also came with remote control.



Keyword : gps

No comments: