Monday, August 4, 2008

Garmin 010-00422-00 GPSMAP 60CSx 2.6-Inch Mapping Handheld GPS

Garmin 010-00422-00 GPSMAP 60CSx 2.6-Inch Mapping Handheld GPS

Great GPS

Garmin makes the best GPS, so this is highly recommended. Replacement map cards are a bit expensive.

Versatil and accurate

I use my 60CSx for both mapping my deer and turkey hunting areas as well as for autobile trips. I bought the automobile kit because of the small screen. The dash mounts in the kit allow me to position the GPS where it be easily seen. It meets all of my needs and is very accurate in mapping.

Easy to use, even for a technopobe like me

Just got the CSx thru Amazon and absolutely love it. Its not as hard to get the software downloaded as I thought. I read most of the good and bad reviews and was worried I would have issues with getting all of the maps on the unit and that I would have trouble getting the unit to work for me. The instructions that Garmin includes (while vague), get you to the places you need to go on the Mapsource software in order to get the unit working. Don't forget to watch the tutorials and give yourself some time to get the Mapsource setup. I have a 7 year old laptop that has issues and I was able to get my unit working, I just took me a while. One problem I had, which I discovered was a common problem, is that the day after I loaded all of my maps and caliberated the compass, I no longer could "acquire satellites". Kinda bad timing as I was heading for the great outdoors for a weekend of camping. I googled the problem online and found the solution. I had to re-install the GPS software and the "Chipset G". Once I did this thru webupdater I was set and the unit has worked flawlessly. I did all of this and I think a computer is an expensive typewriter.

lots of fun

We are new to geocaching with a GPS but we were finding caches the first day. I still haven't downloaded the maps, and have no problem finding our way around. I look forward to trying it on the water and I especially like the elevation feature even though it needs calibration. The controls are on the face and very easy to use. The book explains everything very well, in language that the kids can understand. They are the primary users at 9-14 years old. excellent machine! One trip several had their GPS's and with a little patience, ours took us to our goal more accurately than any of the others. Remember, for your own safety, it is a tool that is man made and you need to know how to read and use maps and compass on your own -just in case something goes wrong.

Awesome product that performs just as expected.

I have owned this unit for over a month now and I can say nothing but good things about it. I was out in the woods with a friend looking for orchids, and while my friend's GPS would occasionally lose its signal entirely, this unit kept a steady lock on the satellites and claimed a +-20 foot accuracy even within the deepest of swamps. The built-in compass means that you can just point and watch the map rotate around to determine direction to a waypoint or geocache that you're trying to locate (or see your previous track into the woods and find a way to get back to it). The fact that it keeps track of unlocated geocaches as a separate set of waypoints (although you can view them in the overall waypoint list) makes it a great tool for geocaching. The included map is not very good (but that is to be expected with any unit, it seems), but I was able to find freeware maps on-line that are nicely detailed down to streets, water features, etc. I can't speak as to the quality of the topo maps, as I haven't gotten them. I also have not tried using street mapping and route calculation, as this is not what I purchased this unit for. It has also proved to be a good exercise tool, keeping track of time and distance traveled while walking, and also giving you an instantaneous speed reading as well as overall moving and overall (moving and still) average speeds. I have logged over 69 miles hiking over about 4 weeks with this unit so far.



Keyword : gps

No comments: