Friday, August 22, 2008

Garmin Forerunner 101 Wrist-Mounted GPS Navigator and Fitness Computer

Garmin Forerunner 101 Wrist-Mounted GPS Navigator and Fitness Computer

Appallingly Inaccurate

This device is terrible are dealing with tree cover, even light tree cover. On certain points on my run, I am in wide open places with a single row of trees far off to one side, and this device loses the signal. When the signal is lost or weak, the device is supposed to interpolate straight line distances between the good reads it gets. Yet, it does not manage to do this properly or consistently. I have three main routes I alternate among--a 10K, a 15K, and a 20K. All three distances have been validated by my bicycle computer, which I was very careful to calibrate precisely. After the 10K, this device loses track of about 500 to 1000 meters, although ocassionally, will be relatively accurate, and obviously the inaccuracy gets worse at higher distances. Because the inaccuracy is not consistent I cannot make adjustments to any of its readings, particularly the pace. One particular section of all three runs is a perfectly straight 2500 meters, but with very heavey tree cover. On some days, despite the poor signal, it measures or interpolates the distance perfectly. On others, it is under by 500 or more meters. This device certainly cannot cut it for any kind of structured training. Inaccuracy is one thing, but it is both inaccurate and inconsistent. Once the leaves begin falling, I am looking forward to some superhuman increases in performance according to this device as my missing kilometers show up again. Since I know the distances already, I do well enough just using this as an over-priced stopwatch, but it would be nice if it could do a decent job of showing my pace. Very frustrating. I am well aware of the limitations of GPS devices having worked with tests of GPS tracking devices on trucks. But this device is off the charts terrible. By comparison, I have a GPS receiver for my Nokia N800 tablet computer that can track where I am going in my house, and I have a lot of trees in the yard. I suppose If you live on a glacier or in the desert, or go really, really slowly, this device would be satisfactory.

Garmin 101

Well, it's a great idea, the main problem i've found with this is that it has a hard time picking up the satelite to use the GPS system, which stinks. I live right in the heart of madison, wi, so there shouldn't be a problem with this, but I find the GPS frequently loses the signal and will not calculate an accurate distance and speed. Also, if you stop during your run the device takes a long time to get back on track when you start running again. So, I really like the idea, but it's probably worth the money to get one with a better tracking system.

Great

If you want to push yourself harder when you're training to walk a marathon, this one is great. Simple, but clear.

Great Device!

I recently started to get serious about running.I came across this device and it is fufilling all of my expections.It has a quick set up guide, for those who want to run right away.It has the standard stop watch but also contains such features as a distance tracker and even a virtual trainer so runners can continue to improve their running.The feature i enjoy the most is the GPS function.For trail runners you can track your course, so you'll never get lost and i live in Japan and i'm using it here. Great Device.

Surprised how bad it was

Knowing Garmin's great reputation for products, I was disappointed that my Forerunner 101 was such a poor investment. I probably only used it 10 times before the plastic molding that holds one of the strap pins in BROKE. And I certainly was not using outside the realm of any reasonable runner. If it had been the pin that broke, no problem, I'd get a new pin. But since it was the plastic itself, it basically renders it useless. The device is now attached to the strap by one pin and flaps on my wrist if I try to wear it. Not only that, it nevers got good satellite pick-up and, contrary to what Garmin says, the device loses connection if I go under trees, etc. Since the plastic broke after the 90-day repair time, I have to pay $60 at least as a repair fee. That is almost half the cost of a new one. No way! All in all, very disappointed in what I expected to be a great running aid.



Keyword : garmin

No comments: