Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Garmin Astro GPS Dog Tracking System

Garmin Astro GPS Dog Tracking System

Excellent product and delivery with missing option

Everything was delivered to my full satisfaction except for one thing. The charger was delivered with adapter for US. This is understandable as it was delivered in the States, but there should be an option to change this as there are many of us having stuff delivered in US, and then brought home to Europe.

Superb dog locator

My best buy for a long time. And Amazon and the seller did all very well and quick. The Garmin Astro is best choice for hunting dog tracking. Yours Kai Finland

Was very impressed -- until it got wet

I bought this Garmin setup after looking for a GPS based dog tracking for a long time. Competing models either require monthly subscription (through cellular phone system) or were dog tracking *only*. The Garmin handheld unit is useful as a standalone GPS device, with the benefit of communicating with the dog GPS unit. I don't hunt, but rather intended to use this to allow my dog to run free while walking him. He loves to track rabbits and deer and for that purpose this Astro worked great. In the area I walk there is much vegetation and he can easily be out of site as little as 20 yards away. After a very watchful eye the first time I used it, I found that it worked far beyond my expectations ... GPS always gave me a distance and position on the map, and the compass always pointed right at him. Occasionally it would lose either GPS reception or RF communcation, but it would always come back in 10-15 seconds. I tried both the backpack and the collar, and actually had better results with the collar even though it would often swing to the side or bottom of his neck. More counterweight would probably help, but he's usually got his head down to the ground and it could easily be a nuisance for him. Although the dog unit is supposed to be waterproof, I did encounter severe problems when he decided to cross a small river. He doesn't swim so I didn't expect this to ever be a problem, but this time it was shallow enough for him to cross and it seems to have gotten the collar unit wet enough to be a problem. I can't determine if the GPS reception was affected or the RF communication with the handheld unit, but it started indicating that he was 100-200 yards away, even though he still was within eyesight. Eventually it crept up to reporting him as 600 and even 900 yards away (I could still see him)! The compass indicator started pointing in what appeared to be random directions. It took awhile (maybe 15 minutes) but after it dried out again, the reporting went back to normal and was right on. I intend to investigate what was going on, and maybe I just have a defective unit. My dog never broke an antenna like others are reporting ... come to think of it however, maybe it *is* broken and it's just not visible to me. Aside from the dog collar issues, I love the handheld unit. I'm still finding features that I didn't know it had, and it is far beyond my previous model (GPS 12).

Two thumbs up

I purchased the astro primarily for hiking with my dog in the wooded dunes of West Michigan. It surpassed my expectations. My dog will be chasing something 200 yards away, well out of sight and hearing range, and it works great. All of the stress and worry of not knowing where the dog is is gone. Because my dog doesn't stray for more than 200-300 yards, I haven't had a chance to test the full range, but within those yards and in very hilly terrain it's tracked flawlessly.

Garmin Astro GPS

Fantastic! I'm not a hunter, but I use the Garmin on my dogs when we go hiking. I've found the product to be very accurate. The construction of the product is very rugged. I'm glad I elected to use the shorter antenna because my dogs like to rough house. I'd be afraid they would damage the longer antena when rolling around. The piece of mind I have knowing that I can locate my dog should he chase after a rabit or deer is worth every penny to me.



Keyword : gps

No comments: