Thursday, August 28, 2008

iGolf GPS Caddie II

iGolf GPS Caddie II

Buyer Beware!

I've owned an iGolf GPS Caddie for over a year and have been using it flawlessly. Recently I turned on the unit and none of the courses that I had downloaded were available. So I connected the unit to my computer and reloaded the courses again. I played two rounds of golf and then the unit lost the courses again. I contacted customer support and they stated that my internal memory or battery was damaged. iGolf provides no service on their units. Because I was outside of the one year warranty, my only option was to buy another unit. BUYER BEWARE. This product is unsupported and unreliable.

Works Just Fine, But...

The iGolf II works as advertised, and it's a good deal less expensive than its competitors. That's both initial price and cost to operate, since once I choose my golf courses I download their data to my PC, and don't need to pay an on-going subscription fee in future years. The only minor negative is the battery indicator. I've been using 2000 maH rechargeable batteries (Duracell), set the indicator to monitor rechargeables, but after two outings the device turns itself off repeatedly, though it indicates 60% or so of the charge left. I'm now trying 2700 maH batteries (Sanyo).

I golf Caddie II

Nice product and very easy to use but don't order if you have a PC running VISTA. You can't set up the required on line connection using VISTA. I Golf tried to help but couldn't. I had to use an older computer to connect and download courses.

iGolf GPS

After researching various golf GPS units, reading golf forums, and looking at units in stores (I enjoy the hunt), I purchased iGolf's Caddie II. It's user friendly, acquires several sats for accuracy, takes regular or rechargeable batteries, self-mapping is fast and easy, and the price is great. The annual fee is $30, which allows you to download 100 courses onto your PC. So, even if you drop the membership after the first year...the courses are yours. I've used it for several rounds now and am perfectly pleased. The only negative is that it does not automatically switch holes when you step to the next tee, but one click and it's done.

Only $200 per YEAR!!!

I really thought I had gotten over when my wife found the iGolf GPS Caddie for only $170 on ebay. Compared to the others this was a steal. I loaded it, took it to the course (several courses in fact), and it worked great. Eleven months after my purchase, I get on the first tee only to find an error stating that there is no course info. The device had dumped all of the courses I had loaded. Later that night I reloaded the courses and took it out that weekend with no problem. The following weekend it had dumped all the data again. I called iGolf Product Service to find that my 1 year warranty was from DATE OF MANUFACTURE, not date of purchase, and was therefore not covered. I was told my only options were to load the info before each round or purchase a refurbished unit for $150. My response to them was that they left out my third option, which is to go with Sky Caddie! I will be sure to tell EVERYONE I ever play with not to buy an iGolf product.



Keyword : skycaddie

No comments: