Friday, August 29, 2008

Cobra GPSM 2100 Portable GPS Navigator

Cobra GPSM 2100 Portable GPS Navigator

cobra

i had gotten this as gift for my husband. he absolutely loves it and uses for long trips and occasionally for our short trips around the local area. his biggest kick is when he is taking a shorter and faster route to the main road and the cobra voice tells him to go another way.

Some nice features..but

I bought this GPS for a trip from Maine to Florida. Although it took me on a good route through CT and gave me detailed info about upcoming turns, this thing took me through the middle of Washingon DC during morning rush hour. When I got to Florida, for some unknown reason this thing wouldn't tell me the next turn until I had passed the intersection. I'm better off with Mapquest.

Don't get this item

I tried to use the COBRA and was disapointed. We tried to look for restaurants and the three places we tried were not in the system. When we tried to enter a restaurant we knew was at a certain location, the COBRA did not recognize the place we were looking for. Also, the unit told us to go to the "highlighted street" after entering a selected restaurant but did not direct us (as a gps should) to the street. One street we were directed to was not an actual street and had rocks across the road so we could not drive down the street and had to redirect ourselves another way.

So disappointed...great technology but terrible interface

This is one of the most disappointing electronic devices I've ever bought. The unit works fine and for getting Grandma from one place to another it is a cute toy. I drive a tractor trailer and if any truckers are considering this unit, just don't. For one thing, the unit will not allow you to select an exit number on a given interstate as a destination. The exits are in the database, it calls off the exits when you have to use one, just doesn't let you find them. Truckstops are listed by interstate# and exit# (not street address) in the guidebooks. Also, very often industrial warehouse sites are not listed by street address and the unit can't find anything without a street number. I now have my old 2002 GarminV with it's outdated maps and impossibly small memory capacity sitting next to the new Cobra so I can use that interface to find exits and plan destination time estimates before moving (the cobra will not display eta times until you get to a spot where your next turn is more than a mile away). Very frustrating. I wonder if there are any parts sharp enough to damage my tire if I drive over it?

It Ain't No Garmin!

My Garmin 340C was stolen from my car and I took a chance on the Cobra. It works (sometimes) but software and graphics are far inferior to what I had gotten used to. On the plus side, some nice features like choice of a category and listing of all in that category in your area. The graphics, if you don't use the 3D version, are fairly good. And it's pretty sensitive in homing in on the satellites, even when you're indoors. But, the shortcomings leave me disappointed. For openers, when I set it for "home" in my driveway, it puts me on a street 1000' away that doesn't come into my area. So, if I set it with "home" as a destination, I wind up in someone else's driveway. The Garmin allows you to plug in a destination and when you let it calculate a route, it gives you mileage and an ETA before you start. Not so with the Cobra. Once you start, it will show an ETA but if there's a way to show the mileage to get there, I haven't found it. The Garmin "speaks" all roads you're directed to use. The Cobra "speaks" only Interstates but has a visual display of the names of all. Another annoyance is that the "zoom" feature keeps resetting itself to a larger area of display. May be a software glitch but not fixable by any of their downloads to date. Garmin offers all sorts of language options: Australian woman speaking with Finnish display; German man speaking with Spanish display, etc. But these are really gimmicks and not necessary. The Cobra is available for somewhat less than the Garmin. And it shows.



Keyword : nav

No comments: