Thursday, August 21, 2008

Harman Kardon GPS-510 4-Inch Widescreen Portable GPS Navigator and Media Player

Harman Kardon GPS-510 4-Inch Widescreen Portable GPS Navigator and Media Player

Good for the price

Picked this up on a Gold Box deal for $200. My wife was especially interested in the MP3 capabilities, but unless you happen to have a stereo with RCA input jacks, the only way you can listen to the songs you put on it would be using the little speaker on the GPS. (I guess if you have a mini-jack plug in, you might be able to convert the two RCA's to mini-jack and plug it in that way.) But if you have neither of these options, it might just be better to get a new stereo. Okay, what about the GPS capability? I'd give it a 95% thumbs up. A few times it screwed up where it would "merge in the left lane, now prepare to turn right"??? Also, we took it on a trip to a concert in Manchester, TN. We stopped in Brentwood, TN for our hotel, and it took us to xxxx Lane instead of xxxx Street, and we had to stop and ask for directions. On the positive side, it's great to have in a city where you have no idea where you're going, and don't have to stop a look at a map to figure out where you're going. There's plenty of restaurants, stores, tourist site, etc. programmed into the unit too. Just type in an address, location, whatever, and you're ready to go. Plus, there's a battery so you can do all of this in your hotel room. Something I would like to see on it is a better way to look at maps to plan a trip, and a way to say to it, "Hwy X is backed up, find a way around it" For the price I paid, it's great, and the feeling of confidence it gives you driving around an unfamiliar city is well worth the money.

Impressive

Have been using it for a little over 2 weeks now and the unit has performed extremely well. Pros: - Locks signal instantly - GPS navigation seems accurate and route/re-route calculations are fast. - Works great as an Audio/Video portable player. - Excellent screen - Vast POI database - Create & sync your own playlists using Windows Media Player in MTP mode. Cons: - Responded slowly a couple of times while playing MP3's. - The built-in speaker could be a little louder (for multimedia playback) - Little on the heavier side - Support of more video formats desired

great item

great item. Just used it through Calif., Oregon, Washington and B.C. Canada and didn't get lost once. Great time saver and easy to use

so so

This is my first gps system. Though I like the features on it it is slow to give direction and in one case was telling me to go left onto a north bound highway when it was clearly marked on the signs to go right for south(the direction I wanted). For the hell of it I got on the north bound thinking maybe there was something I didn't know. No it told me to get back off! Maybe it likes making people go in circles?? I think I will be sending this unit back!!!

HK 510

Some of the bad reviews almost scared me away. I bought this unit anyway. I like it. Easy to use, and it is easy to program in destinations. I'm impressed with the software. Solid unit!



Keyword : garmin

No comments: