Thursday, August 21, 2008

Garmin GPSMAP 76CSx Mapping Handheld GPS


Garmin GPSMAP 76CSx Mapping Handheld GPS

Very user friendly

I bought this for my husband who is not techno savvy at all. He has commented on how easy this is for him to understand. Our son explained the features to him and now he's set for all his "good fishing holes". We also purchased the southcentral lakes chip to use....very good purchase for us.

One SATISFIED customer!!

I want to echo the praises of my fellow-reviewers by saying this is one top-notch GPS system!! My wife and I went hiking up the North Shore of Lake Superior last week and the 76CSx exceeded our expectations. It acquired the satellite signals quickly and never lost them, even in very deep woods; the screen was bright and detailed; the trip odometer and altimeter were amazingly accurate; and after hours of hiking the batteries (Energizer rechargables) were still going strong. I will add that I purchased a MicroSD card of the Upper Midwest and we were quite pleased at the amount of detail it shows. I would highly recommend going this route versus buying blank SD cards and going through the hassle of downloading topo maps. It may cost a bit more, but all things considered it is the most practical way to go. The ONLY downside is the size; I wish it were as small as the Vista or the newer Colorado. But with all of the excellent features (including it being waterproof and having the ability to float...we will be using ours on kayak trips as well) and the hard-to-beat price, I believe the 76CSx gives you the best "bang for the buck."

Big boy toy

I bought this for the husband and it is his new best friend. It provides all the information he requires to do various types of fishing. He is still learning all it can do but overall it performs well when traveling and fishing. He likes the easy to read directions and the screen viewing is clear. It is accurate so far and that keeps the aggravation down when searching. When he is alone it is an added insurance for safety. Overall recommendation - buy and enjoy.

GPSMAP 76CSx

The GPS arrived in a few days and works great. The rocker switch on the unit sucks. It makes entering information difficult. The GPS is very sensitive and works inside my motorhome away from any windows. My old unit was an E-Map and it had to be beside a window to work. This unit also works well in deep woods. The unit is advertised as being a mapping unit. This is true if you purchase the City Navigator software for $115. The mapping does not work with the 2008 Topo software. I installed a 2 GB chip to hold the topo map. It turned out that the unit would only hold less than half of the topo map and only used 700 MB of the 2 GB available. It also took over 2 hours to download the topo data.

GPSMap 76CSx

Got this to replace the etrex Vista CSX. This GPSr is interchangeable with my wife's GPSMap 60Cx. The 60Cx feels better in your hand but the features are identical, other than the electronic compass that we don't use. The price point was [...] less, when I bought the unit from AMAZON . The GPSMap 76CSX fits better on our Volvo dashboard than the 60Cx and makes it easier for me as a driver to see it. We use our GPSr's almost exclusively for geocaching. For our sport, the 60 & 76 models seem to be the units of choice. The Garmin Colorado has the potential to outperform these units, but not yet. I used the comparison of features on [...] to make my choice. Happy caching!



Keyword : garmin

No comments: