Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Sanyo NVM-4050 Easy Street 4-Inch Portable GPS Navigator

Sanyo NVM-4050 Easy Street 4-Inch Portable GPS Navigator

awesome unit

great gps....just purchased it....never owned one before, but have used a few....super easy to use....great display....buy and go.....

BAD GPS

Sanyo NVM-4050 Easy Street 4-Inch Portable GPS Navigator I was an unfortune one. This GPS had a great screen but sadly the keyboard was defective. The numbers and letters were mixed up and could not program the GPS. It goes without saying that any thing man makes there will be bad ones. There was no way of knowing this until after purchasing.

Sanyo NVM-4050

I had major issues with this GPS right away, most serious first. 1. Time must be set manually. This is ridiculous since a time signal is part of the GPS system and I've never encountered another GPS device that failed to utilize it. 2. There is an altitude display on the map only, but it is in YARDS not feet. It appears to have been programmed by a foreigner not aware of the convention in the U.S. and requires unnecessary mental math. 3. I can't charge it and connect it to the AUX port in my car at the same time without generating unacceptable noise. 4. Ridge Dr comes out "Ridge Doctor W" in text to speech. There is no direction after the actual street name. "W" isn't expanded to "West" so no abbreviations specific to street names appear to have been programmed into the system. I returned this GPS a month after I bought it at Fry's Electronics and there was a 15% restocking fee on this item. I replaced it with a Garmin Nüvi 200W since I own two Garmin handhelds and have had no major issues with them. I paid a little more for a better GPS in my opinion, but with a lot fewer features.

Almost a good product.

I was excited about the feature set of this GPS from first sight. I needed a bluetooth handsfree solution for my cellphone while driving as I live in California where the new law was passed. Well it did not work out as planned. The unit looks good, and the GPS is adequate with turn by turn vocal instructions. It does play mp3 files, though getting it to do so while doing other things required a few looks at the instructions and too many menu peckings. But it's downfall for me was TWOFOLD: The battery life while using the gps and bluetooth was horrible. I killed the battery in 45 minutes. So much for 7 hour battery life. And yes I charged it overnight after I recieved it, It was fully charged. The bluetooth speakerphone feature was the final deal breaker for me. I could hear ok from the speaker or the headphone jack to my car stereo BUT nobody could hear me unless I shouted quite loudly. The microphone is really not good. The unit was mounted right by my steering wheel. Good luck if you buy this unit. I wanted to like it, but failed due to it's lack of usability as a speakerphone and poor battery perfomance.

A bit better than just OK

The unit works OK. The feature of the MP3 player is very good but unusual in its operation. A manual explaining this feature might be nice. It has to use "invalid files" for content but there is also a valid file for each song. Once I got to understand how it seems to work, it was good. The maps of the US are very dated. Streets that were renamed years ago are listed by their former name. The easiest way to a destination is often not the way that is chosen. I had to travel down dirt streets to get to a destination when there were paved streets running parallel that would take me there in the same distance but in a much faster time. But I did get there, even though it was a scenic route. There is no adjustment to disable unpaved streets. Sometimes the unit works very well and it always would get one to the destination. It does interrupt the MP3 to give the instruction with a very pleasant voice. The on/off switch on the front is very easy to trigger when not wanted. My cell phone does not work with this unit either, but that is not a large inconvenience right now. So, while this unit is not great, it is adequate for most needs and certainly works well for interstate use. There seems to be sufficient poi's included.



Keyword : nav

No comments: