Thursday, July 17, 2008

Garmin 010-00421-00 GPSMAP 60Cx High-Sensitivity Color Mapping Handheld GPS

Garmin 010-00421-00 GPSMAP 60Cx High-Sensitivity Color Mapping Handheld GPS

Terrible Product

I purchased this unit for a motorcycle trip last fall. The first time I tried to use it, it would not navigate roads for the route I downloaded. After hours on line and on the phone with Garmin, they decided the unit was faulty and requested I return my unit in exchange for another. Because it took weeks to get the new unit, I went back to my trusty paper map for my trip. I tried using it a second time this summer for another motorcycle trip, and after unlocking my new unit, going through all the required steps, etc., it would not accept downloads of maps. UNBELIEVABLE! Back to the paper map again. Now, Garmin is telling me they won't accept a return of the unit because they "...do not sell our units to the public..." and asked me to spend countless more hours sending them screen shots, exact error messages, unlock keys, serial numbers of the original and replacement unit...etc, etc. Have you ever of heard of anything more ridiculous than a manufacturer that won't accept a return of a faulty product because they don't sell to the public? I'm going to return this unit to Amazon and probably get only 50% of my money back, and go buy one from another manufacturer that hopefully actually works.

amazing reciever

This unit is an amazing GPS reciever, it will aquire sattelites even sitting indoors. This will replace my last garmin which was a very good entry level device, but would lose signal occasionally when under the canopy of trees while 4-wheeling. I would recomend this GPS handheld to anyone who hikes, offroads, hunts, geocaches, or just plain travels.

Cache on!

You can't tell this isn't a brand new unit. It even has the warranty. It keeps a lock even in deep woods. The maps are a big help but wouldn't be necessary if people would give parking co-ordinates! My only complaint about this unit is that the SP card falls out when I change batteries.

Why i bought a second receiver.

This is the second 60CX I have purchased, not because the first one was bad, but bought as a gift for my spouse and geocaching companion. With the introduction of the Garmin Colorado, this receiver has dropped significantly in price this year. The color screen is very visible in most lighting conditions. (direct sun is a issue). As with all GPS receivers, I recommend a mapping package to enhance the basemap (I use Garmin TOPO 2008). There are enough buttons on the face to make operation of the receiver easy to use. if there is one deficiency, it is Garmin's documentation is very minimal and some functions I had to learn by trial and error. However, there are several non-garmin websites that provide good tutorials on the features of this receiver. The geocaching feature allow you to load 1000 geocaches. However, all show up with a treasure chest icon. If you want to see actual geocaching container types, there is a add-in to load these as waypoints. This add-in also get you around the 1000 cache limit. Overall, if you are looking for a color receiver with great features for geocaching, this is the unit.

review

My husband bought this to take with him to afghanistan. However, the downloadable map for afghanistan is only available from one website...and the website is a piece of s**t.



Keyword : garmin

No comments: