Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Garmin Forerunner 201 Wrist-Mounted GPS Fitness Computer

Garmin Forerunner 201 Wrist-Mounted GPS Fitness Computer

Good... when it works.

When it works, it's terrific. Problem is that it's inconsistent in picking up GPS satellite. I start my runs from the same location every time and the 201 varies in its pickup of signal even though it's the same time, same location, same weather. Some days it works without a hitch -- and on other days, it will not pick up a signal even though it had no problem the day before. It will drop the GPS in the middle of a run in inconsistent places (again, I generally run the same route), and when it finally picks it up again it can misjudge the mileage by up to a half-mile. I know it's not top-of-the-line, but I would expect a company with Garmin's reputation to provide a better product. I'm hoping the 205 does a better job.

Can't connect to the computer

I have started using the 201 to track both my bike riding and walking. However, I can't get it to be recognized by the computer to use the tracking software. Garmin so far has not been able to help, another phone call to customer service is in the future. I really am satisfied with products that operate as they are advertised - I do not like to drag satisfaction out of a company.

Runners best friend - Forerunner 201

This is the second Forerunner 201 I have purchased and have been delighted with them both. As a keen but amateur runner the precision measuring of the distance of my running routes off road and in inaccessible places is superb. I use it in the British Virgin Islands in the hills and island pathways and the GPS never fails me. It's a terrific running partner and motivation tool. My only annoyance is it not having a USB link to my computer. The serial port connection cable is not user friendly to many new laptops and so I cannot use it to it's fullest extent. I think it's great value for money.

Great little unit

This is a great unit for tracking all outdoor activites. The ability to overlay your track onto a map is really handy when reviewing trails ventured off road.

Garmin Forerunner 201

Great product for runners or anyone else that want to know how far they have run or walked. Gives instant feedback to you on how well your doing. To those who want to get faster, get one. Totally worth the price. Also a great training partner.



Keyword : garmin

No comments: