Friday, July 4, 2008

Garmin nüvi 750 4.3-Inch Widescreen Portable GPS Navigator

Garmin nüvi 750 4.3-Inch Widescreen Portable GPS Navigator

not good for those looking for more control

I had the Nuvi 750 for a week before I exchanged it for a TomTom Go720. I'll try to list my thoughts on the Nuvi750 and how it compares with the other GPS units I have (Mio C220 and TomTom GO720) My first unit was a Mio C220 and the best thing about it was how easy it was to select custom routes on the fly. add multiple via points and just liked the overall menu structure. The Nuvi's are primarily for those who do not want to exercise control over the routes recommended by the GPS. Just set the destination and follow it. If you are like me who likes to see what route has been recommended and make my own adjustments then the Nuvi's are not too great. The TomTom's are the best for this. e.g. you set a destination in a Nuvi750 and it takes you directly to the navigating 3D view. Whereas on the TomTom it will take you first to a whole route overview. IF you dont like the route then you can easily calculate an alternative route through multiple options. SOme might say that the routes suggested by Nuvi are always better but I do not agree. Ok what I liked about the Nuvi750? - Great bright screen. - Like the smooth anti-aliased graphics - Navigation view is good and gives you a good angle to see upcoming turns - FM transmitter was good and did not have to change the frequency too often - Mp3 player is good and it lets you see the next tracks etc. - Big and intuitive buttons on the screen What I did not like? - Feels very slow overall - finding POIs, map redraws etc. - Horrible map scroll redraw delays - very slow in finding POIs. TOmTom and Mio are very quick - no customization of any sort except for changing the car icons - TOuchscreen quality and response not as good as TomTom I chose the TomTom Go720 over the Nuvi750 because: - Fast map scroll/browse mode - Excellent routing features - Superior touchscreen quality - OVerall feels like a well built and sturdy unit. (Go to circuit city and see for yourself. Nuvi looks like made of very cheap plastic) - far better customization options (map colors, car icons, sound output etc.) - Better voice guidance as compared to the Garmins. VOice sounds more human than robotic - Much faster satellite lock than Nuvi750 Bottomline: if you are a person who just likes to set a destination and follow it no questions asked then Garmins are the best. If you like to micromanage and like to select your own route then this is not for you. You will definitely feel the lack of control.

Great for telling you where to go

After buying one for myself and giving it a test run, I bought one for our two sons. This is our first GPS device, so I cannot compare it to others. We have all been well pleased with it. It is out-of-the-box ready to use. I'm big on "plug and play." I did print out the manual so I could learn the features. Sometimes it does take a few minutes to locate a satellite. From what I've read, I think that most GPS devices have this problem. The only thing I wish I could do, is to program a route. Sometimes I prefer to go a different way than it tells me to go. You can get around this, but it would be nice if it would let you choose an alternate route. I would definitely recommend it. Garmin stands behind their products. One son's quit working within days of receiving it. He returned it to the company and received a replacement, no problem. One more word on customer service. I downloaded the map upgrade and couldn't figure out how to install it onto the device. We e-mailed customer service and within a couple of days they CALLED us and walked us through the steps. I really get a kick out of the "voice" when we stray from the route. "She" begins to sound perturbed as she says, "recalculating" over and over (testing it while driving in-town and going the way we want to, not the way the Nuvi directs us).

Easy to use, but routes don't always make sense

This GPS units works very well...very easy to set up and use. I only have a few minor issues: (1) the route that the unit chooses is not always optimal, (2) if you venture out to a fairly new and growing suburban area, you'll find that the maps are out-of-date, and (3) a couple times when I was looking for a particular gas station, it lead me to a place where none existed. These were all minor inconveniences as it probably occurs in all GPS units...Overall, this is terrific unit and a great price.

Not bad for the price

Pros- Price 299.99 @ Sams Club, user friendly interface, downloadable maps from Google, Mp3 player, more than one text to speech voice to chose from, bright display, changeable direction indicators, a language guide, calculator, currency and unit converter, picture viewer, the ability to create routes, FM transmitter, a generous amount of POI's and MSN direct for traffic and weather something that I will use when I order the adapter. I am a Correctional Officer who transports inmates and I need a above average gps unit to rely on. Cons- no bluetooth, no way to change the routes once the are made by detouring of bypassing certain roads you dont want to travel. weak battery time, I can get about 2 hours per charge. no carry case and house charger. Living in Maryland I use the beltway alot I 97,95,70,100,301,295,695,450,495, and route 50 I can cover the entire on some days the biggest knock against this unit is when I have to go to Baltimore city or county or any place in western Maryland the unit always always takes me up Rt. 2 to Rt. 100 to get to I 97, for those who has never travel this streach of road it is a see of red lights from one end to the other. I also have a Mio C520 Which I love , when it makes the routes for the forementioned routes it always takes me off of Rt. 50 directly to I 97, when I take them on the road together the Mio always gives me the shortest and quickest routes, so I use the Mio for work and the garmin for pleasure. The units have some of the same features, the Mio has bluetooth and I can download my contacts from my Microsoft Outlook, overall I give the Garmin Nuvi 750 a 3 because of no bluetooth, wall charger, case, and user applied detours to change the intended travel route, other than that I would buy another Garmin and would recomend this unit to others because there is no "Holy Grail" of gps units all I can say is you as a consumer knows what features and how much you want to spend so happy hunting.

Excellent unit with out-of-date map version

The Garmin 750 works very well in places where my Garmin C320 will not work at all (in particular, in a Toyota Highlander Hybrid, whose electronic environment confuses the earlier Garmin unit). I downloaded current firmware for the unit from the Garmin support site, and have had no trouble whatever with signal aquisition and strength, both of which are outstanding compared with earlier GPS units I have used. Unfortunately, the unit arrived with Garmin's 2008 mapset. While this would seem current in June of 2008, Garmin, like many periodical publishers, dates its mapsets in advance. The current Garmin mapset is the 2009 version, which Garmin's registration site helpfully offered to sell me for only $70 or so. Annual versions of roadmaps are out-of-date the moment they are released, so to receive a new unit with an immediate offer to update it to current status at extra cost is puzzling. Fortunately, Amazon has now issued me credit for the new version. If you want an excellent GPS unit, and are willing to pay extra for a current mapset, the Garmin 750 is a good choice.



Keyword : garmin

No comments: