Thursday, July 17, 2008

Garmin Rino 530HCX High-Sensitivity Color Mapping Handheld GPS and 14-Mile FRS/GMRS Two-Way Radio

Garmin Rino 530HCX High-Sensitivity Color Mapping Handheld GPS and 14-Mile FRS/GMRS Two-Way Radio

Worth about $200

I have had this unit for a few months. I should have returned it. First the positive: It is durable, I have dropped it once, and it has flown off my bike twice and still works. The trip manager is very nice. You can choose many different types of information to view and the "big numbers" feature is great for cycling. Now the negs. I have found the "track back" feature worthless. If you are counting on this to lead you back to camp after getting lost, forget it. If you use the belt clip, you will likely lose the satellite connection, and you won't get it back unless you reboot (I had to figure this out on my own). Therefore, while hiking, you must carry the unit in your hand or attach it to the top of your backpack (very inconvenient). I agree with the review that states the manual should explain more on how the features could be used. Very poor documentation. The very expensive topo map does not have good trail information at all. It tells you the elevation of the surrounding mountains and shows major waterways but for the money it cost, it should have all established hiking/biking trails. The optional bike adapter is cheaply made and broke under the weight of this unit. I should have just purchased a cycling GPS instead.

Great Upgrade to the base 530 version!

I wish I had waited 6 months last time when I bought the base Rino 530 - that was not expandable. For $20 I was able to get a 2 GB memory card that goes into this one and can hold every map I could ever need. Now with 2 units I can keep track and keep in touch with other members of our party when we are out enjoying nature!

Excellent Handheld GPS

I have had this GPS now for about 2 months. Primarily purchased it for use with backpacking although I have now been geocaching with it as well. The screen is easy to see and controls are fairly straightforward. The added radio works well (although to use GMRS, you need a FCC license) and picks up NOAA weather easily. You can create your own topo maps for this GPS, not the easiest to do, but gives you the most freedom. I have loaded a few topos I've made myself into the GPS. Connection to a computer is simple. Battery works well, lasts ~14hours before giving out. I have used the optional alkaline (NiMH) pack and gotten about 10 hours with it. Note that this does not include transmitting on the radio. The really neat option is being able to transmit your position and reading in other RINO positions which I have done. One drawback is indeed the documentation. You will learn to use it the most just by using it and using the guide as a starting point. Overall, good GPS with lots of options.

One of the best handheld GPS in the market

I have spent a lot of time researching handheld GPSs and I think that the Rino 530 is by far one of the best in the market. It is very durable and accurate. I had enter a benchmark as a waypoint and I was standing on the benchmark and it said I was within 2 feet of the way point. For a handheld GPS this is scary accurate. With all its features, and its accuracy it is the most bang for your buck. The thing that was the most impressive is the battery life. I kept it on for almost 30 hours and it only used up about 40% of its battery, and it was not a idle on, but using the GPS and radio constantly. Too many features to elabrorate on each one of them. But for serious hikers and Geocachers this is a great tool.

battery life info

Just received this unit -- arrived quickly from Amazon, as usual. Display is bright, controls simple to use, sensitivity of gps receiver is excellent (I can get reception in my basement, although I have lost signal inside my local, small-town, one-room grocery store). I have an older Garmin which is working fine, but I purchased this one for the added benefit of the radio capability, in case of emergency in wilderness while treking with my 9 and 12 year old daughters. With a fully charged, brand new rechargable battery as supplied with the unit, I got 40 hours of continuous use. I turned off the radio during all but 1 hour of this time but had the WAAS enabled. During this time, I took it with me while I ran errands, took 2 short day hikes, and went to work, but did not carry it on my person around the home. With 4 brand new, high quality brand name AA batteries (using the separately purchased alkaline battery pack), I got 19 hours of continuous use under similar conditions. After reading Hinch's book on GPS use, I did turn off the WAAS after about 8 hours into this trial. I did not have the radio on at all during the alkaline battery trial, although I did "fiddle" with the pages and settings more often than the rechargable trial (was reading the Hinch book simultaneous with the alkaline trial, so I tried a couple of the tasks in the book during this time). The base map supplied with the unit provides minimal street information and (as with any map from any source) some inaccuracies. Lists our grade school parking lot as "Black Partridge Park" -- which is actually a very large prairie/forest preserve located just outside of our little town. Be aware: you cannot load any map onto this unit except those specifically provided/sold by Garmin. To my knowledge, this is true for all gps units; the units with mapping features will only accept those from the manufacturer of the receiver. You can, however, download waypoints generated from other mapping software programs. Have not tested the radio capability in the wild, but I see others have reported 5 mile range under typical wilderness conditions. The discrepancy between this irl range and the 14 miles listed on specs (which is always the maximum obtainable under totally optimal conditions) is entirely par for 2 way radio range estimates. If you plan to use the GMRS radio frequencies, you will need an FCC license. No training or test required; just an $85 fee. Easy to obtain online. BTW: highly recommend Stephen Hinch book, Outdoor Navigation With GPS. I've been a basic-feature gps user for several years, but wanted a better understanding of the more advanced features and the jargon.



Keyword : garmin

No comments: