Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Garmin 010-00567-00 Zumo 550 3.5-Inch Portable GPS Motorcycle Navigator

Garmin 010-00567-00 Zumo 550 3.5-Inch Portable GPS Motorcycle Navigator

Zumo to go

The Zumo 550 is AWESOME. On the bike it is very easy to operate, even with gloves on. Programming is a cinch, either on the computer and then download, or right on the GPS unit itself. I highly recommend this unit for any biker out there needing directions! I wired it direct to the bike, and the handlebar mount works very easily, and has the safety feature built in so no one can steal it. Plus, even if it's stolen, the thief can't use it! What a feature loaded unit! The only reason I didn't give it a five star rating is I wish it was a little bigger, and had voice directions, without having to plug it into a bluetooth device, as some people don't have communication devices on their motorcycles (like me). Otherwise, awesome product.

Does everything I want it to do

After using a Garmin GPS60 in my travels, using the ZUMO 550 was a great improvement. I read some previous reviews and was a little disappointed in some of the shortcomings of the unit. I don't know if Garmin actually addressed the shortcomings of if the reviewer just didn't know how to access the feature. Two examples; one reviewer said that you couldn't "MARK" a location. This is easily done by simply touching the vehicle icon. You can then rename the location and save it to your favorites. Another reviewer talked about the lack of a compass option unless you are in the "off road" mode. If you are not navigating, there is a letter indicator on screen constantly and by one touch, you have access to a graphic compass. You always have access to the graphic compass page while navigating with one touch. I am very satisfied with the ZUMO 550 and would recommend it. One thing I would have liked is the option of getting AM-FM radio instead of XM. I have cable TV, but I still have a problem with paying for radio. I love gadgets, and I don't consider myself a "techy", but I rate the ZUMO 550 with a "10".

You won't be disappointed with this GPS

Everything I have been looking for in a GPS for all of my vehicles is included in the Zumo550. I can easily switch it between the motorcycle and my truck with zero effort. The MP3 player is a lifesaver on long trips. I just insert an 8GB SD card and let the music play. All of the controls are easily seen and the buttons can be pushed with gloves on. The only thing I would change is the low fuel gauge. Instead of a pop-up window reminder of low fuel, it would be nice to have the voice prompt you and start showing the nearest gas stations. Picky, I know, but it woudl be a great feature. Other than my wishes, the unit is nearly perfect.

Takes a licking and ...

I take the unit off the bike every time I stop (I don't trust the locking screw). One time I did not fully secure the GPS into the cradle. While going down the road at 50+ miles per hour it flew off. I thought great there's $600 down the drain. I circled back and picked up the device. It was banged up in a few places (the corners were completely scuffed). I turned it on and it WORKED! I have fully tested it and everything works (it's now 15+ days since the incident). All-in-all a good GPS for those of us who are a little rough on our hardware.

Zumo 550

Would have given 5 stars if the Zumo hadn't stopped working a week after I bought it, yep I said stopped working! I was gonna get really pissed but then called the tech help number and the girl on the other end was very helpful and got me going again in no time. Still not sure what happened but it hasn't happened since and as long as the GPS is working I love it!!! Takes care of all my needs on the bike as well as in the car. Wish it wasn't priced so high, but none the less I would recommend it highly!



Keyword : garmin

No comments: