Thursday, July 10, 2008

GARMIN Forerunner 405 Black GPS Enabled Sports Watch/ HRM

GARMIN Forerunner 405 Black GPS Enabled Sports Watch/ HRM

A great training tool

As a triathlete, I am always looking to improve my skills and my tracking of my progress. This tool is ideal for that. Before I bought the Forerunner 405, I was using a Timex Ironman Heart Rate Monitor and a Sport Brain pedometer to track various data. While I really like both products, I found they didn't track enough of what I needed and the pedometer, while I did calibrate it, wasn't super accurate in tracking my mileage or pace. Thus, I wanted something that would do everything my existing two gadgets did, only more accurately and with more functionality. The Forerunner 405 is that training tool! I absolutely love the Forerunner 405 and feel it is the best value on the market for what it does (as some of the other similarly priced products don't have near the capabilities and functionality and some of the more expensive products don't offer enough added capabilities to justify the much higher price.) I also love that the GPS is in the watch unit...not a separate gadget you have to hook onto your waist like most other products with similar capabilities. What I love about this product is how many things you can program it to track and how you can customize it for your specific needs (and you can change those custom features as your needs change.) For example, I do a lot of hill running. I know the hills I run are fairly steep, but never knew how steep and really wanted and needed to know that. The Forerunner can be programmed to include grade that tells me just that. Now I know the exact grades of those hills. I also love that you can program up to 9 things it tracks while you are on the bike or run (up to 3 items in each of 3 fields) but you don't have to program it to its maximum potential. I don't have the foot pod or the GSC 10 for the bike like another reviewer as I have a computer on my bike already. However, the Forerunner and my bike computer are identical in their data, which just tells me how truly accurate this unit really is. Granted, because I don't have the GSC 10, I don't know my speed by looking at my Forerunner until after I sync up with the ANT stick, but since I have the bike computer, it's not an issue. Another really cool custom feature is that you can program your specific heart rate zones into the Forerunner (which sends that data to the ANT stick and the software programs). I know some other reviewers mentioned it was a bit complex to program. Yes, it takes some time if you're going to really use all its functionality, but if you read the owners manual (the bigger one, not the quick start one) and follow the directions, it's really very easy. Also, if you have questions or problems with anything, the Garmin customer service representatives are super helpful and can help you do or fix whatever you need (I know this as I've called them twice and they were great!) As for the ANT stick and the tracking software that you download to sync to the Forerunner, it's awesome. The Garmin Training Center shows you line graphs of your heart rate and which zones you were in for each workout, which is very helpful. The Garmin Connect software has much more detail, including pace, mileage, average speed, average heart rate, max heart rate and so much more. I know another reviewer said he wished it was USB vs. the ANT stick, but if you are like me and you only use one computer to upload your data from the unit, this won't be an issue. Another cool feature is that the Connect software links with Google maps, so you can see where you went on your bike or run, which is kind of fun, but not really a training tool necessity. My only complaint is that this product is not supposed to be used in the water. So, you can't use it to tell the distance you swam in open water. But, since this is something I don't do that often, it's not that big of a deal. So, if you're looking for a great training tool that is highly accurate and customizable, I think you will love the Forerunner 405 and feel it is a great value.

A Lot to Like

The Garmin 405 is not my first HRM watch, but it is my first that has integrated GPS functionality. This watch is slightly complex as mentioned in an earlier review, but not too complex to get used to, and once you work out your process for using the watch it is not complex at all. What makes it initially seem complex is that it has so much functionality you can use it can be overwhelming. To turn on the light simply requires you to touch the bezel with 2 fingers rather than one, same motion for turning it off. They are attempting to match the user friendliness of the iTouch/iPhone with the touch bezel interface. I have probably the most complex setup for this watch that is possible. I have the HRM, footpod (so I can use it on a treadmill indoors) and the GSC-10 for my bike (a carryover from when I had the Forerunner 50 which does not have GPS). So far pairing and using the various ANT devices including the USB connection to the PC for data downloading has worked very well with no problems. This watch does not currently work well with Macs. I have many computers at home, including 3 Macs, my main computer being a Al iMac. I just use Parallels and XP for data transfer and analysis for the 405 currently. My hope is that Garmin meets their promise of Mac compatibility in 2008, but the workaround with Parallels works OK for now. If you are a gadget person and run/bike and love to review and collect data this is the product for you. I definitely fit that segment and love the 405. Only Mac compatibility and the somewhat complex menu system keep this from being rated 5 stars by me. If you prefer simplicity of operation and do not like gadgets much, my recommendation would be to choose a less complex watch with HRM.

Terrible interface, Avoid if you want to spend time running not reading

This product is ridiculously complex. The interface will require referring to the manual again and again. Very little is intuitive. Simple things like activating the light require multiple button presses, on two buttons, neither is labeled "light". It's not Mac compatible and says nothing about this on the package. The wireless "ANT" stick requires a PC. There is Mac software for the Garmin Training center, but no way for the 405 to connect to it. On a PC the ANT software runs constantly, that is rather than just running when the Garmin Training center application is running, it runs 24/7 slowing your computer. Data is transfered to it (slowly) then to the Training Center.

Some Good, Some Seriously Bad

At first, the wireless transfer seemed a little like bells and whistles that I didn't really care about, but it's turned out to be worse than that. I was hoping to replace and Edge 305 with this device, so that I could use it more easily for running. That device uses standand USB cables to sync and charge the unit---I have them at work, at home, and in my car. The 405, however, uses a custom charging clip that I will wither have to carry with me or buy multiple copies of it and dedicate USB ports to their use. If I lose it, it is not widely available, and will likely mean I can't use the device for a while. Same problem with the ANT stick, which takes yet another USB port to use. I have to carry this small, easily misplaced $50 item along with the unit to use it elsewhere. And the data transfer rate is dramatically lower than the Edge 305 version which uses USB. Lastly, the MotionBased agent doesn't recognize the 405, so I am stuck with the much slower and less functional Garmin Connect. The sort-of iPod like bezel interface is good, but takes some getting used to. Overall, it's better that the massive button pushing that would otherwise be required. It is only slightly larger and heavier than a regular wristwatch, and it looks nice enough to wear in a non-training setting. It's OK, but it would have been much, much better with a standard USB interface.



Keyword : gps

No comments: