Sunday, July 6, 2008

TomTom ONE Portable GPS Vehicle Navigator

TomTom ONE Portable GPS Vehicle Navigator

Great portable GPS!

I just purchased the TomTom One portable GPS system. I have a very good internal sense of direction and I can read a map just fine but in New Jersey traffic, who can be bothered with that? I hate getting lost on busy roads and I often take long road trips to other states. This is a great device because it will talk you through your route, when to turn, it shows the names of the roads, etc. Another feature I love for road trips is when you get tired and need to stop you can push a button and the TomTom will show landmarks of all the local hotels and gas stations along your route. It will also show you local attractions and places of interest if you choose. I use it all the time, even at home. The funny thing is that we just built our home last year and because the development is so new it does not pick up on the GPS so when I turn down my road it just shows me driving into a dirt field! LOL. Other than that it is my most favorite new electronic device.

where am I

My 1st experience with gps took me to the Twin Cities to look at a used Jeep. I looked at the road atlas before I left my house in central Wisconsin and got an overall sense of which roads to take when I got into the Cities. I fully intended on bringing my atlas, but I forgot it. Oh well, I borrowed my dad's Tom Tom One. I knew how to get to the Twin Cities without a map anyway, and the TomTom had the address programed into it. TomTom got to the Twin cities flawlessly! I could have done that myself though. The problem was that the interchange for interstate/bypasses was being re-constructed in the city limits. The actual turn was opposite of what TomTom had in its maps. Things change, thats fine, it would not have been a problem had TomTom said "exit left I-490 North" instead of "exit left 500 yards" . It got me kind of lost, had I not looked at a map before leaving I would have been completely lost!! I ended up going with what I partially remembered from the atlas. I have since tried other gps units (Magellan Crossover) and found it far superior because it tells you the proper name of the street you are turning onto. Oh and the Canada map on the Crossover is much more complete. The road to my dads cabin is on does not exist accorind to TomTom. It may be better than nothing... sometimes. My dad has about the same opinion of the TomTom, in fact we borrowed it 4 months ago and he has not asked for it back! I purchased a Garmin gpsmaps 60csx after reading reviews here on Amazon. I liked the Magellan Crossover too when I used it, it was a hard purchasing decision. TomTom=DumDum

Bought as a present

I Bought this for my niece's graduation present. She is on her way this Fall to go to Law school and is not to familiar with Tenn. She was thrilled with it, and learned to use it quickly. She told me several of her friends want one now.

simple and accurate is all i ask for

this gps is on point. for every turn or intersection. i was amazed when the gps found local points of interest such as diners, schools, gas stations and etc. you dont expect a gps for this price to be as accurate as the 500 dollar ones. my only complaint is i could use a bigger one.

Trust the TomTom

I live down South so here in SC the roads don't change much and so the TomTom seems much more accurate to us hicks than you sissyfied city folk. Ok I'm only kidding but the TomTom seems very accurate to me. I only use it on long trips (100 or more miles) and if I have to go somewhere downtown and I'm not familiar where the place is. I've learned to pretty much trust the TomTom but it always seems to falter at the last couple of buildings. But, it does get you where you want to go. The TomTom loves the interstate so it always guides you there even if you know a shorter route from experience. I gave it four stars because it works well for what you pay. I've had mine about 6 months. Bear



Keyword : tomtom

No comments: