Saturday, July 26, 2008

TomTom Rider 3.5-Inch Portable GPS Motorcycle Navigator

TomTom Rider 3.5-Inch Portable GPS Motorcycle Navigator

buy, cheap, low price

Bike Cradle Problem

After a relatively few uses, the cradle doesn't make contact with the GPS and your motorcycle power supply won't charge the unit. I have had this happen on 2 units. Since batteries are nearly irreplaceable and limit you to a 4 hour trip, this is a problem. Some web sites say adding solder to the back of your unit may solve the problem, but others don't see it as permanent. This makes it hardly worth the price. I hope TomTom has a solution.

Not without it's drawbacks

I have used the Rider for one riding season now. While it has come in very handy I have to agree with most of what has been written here. A few comments to save someone some of the aggravation most have experienced. First you will need to upgrade the SD card because the memory in the supplied card is insufficient to operate the unit properly. Without a larger card you will have to deal with freeze ups and reboots. Next go to the TomTom Home page and update the installed software to the latest version. Last of all be sure you have a tether attached to the head unit. When you hit a pothole the unit can detach from the mount. This unit is a great idea but the design is not without flaws.

Tom Tom Rider

This GPS arrived in a very timely manner, was easy to install, tech service seems to be excellent since we had to call them because the unit is discharging in only a few hours. This could be a problem with the unit making full electrical contact with the cradle mount or it could be a situation with the motorcycle's charging system. Must say that the unit and the Blue Tooth voice command system is excellent. One recommendation would be to increase the volume level of the unit beyond what is available.

TomTom Rider 2nd edition has been released

Just letting you know that release 2 of tomtom rider is already available in Europe and Australia and features the Cardo scala-rider wireless Bluetooth headset. I assume the US version will follow soon.

mediocre design, poor quality and support.

When TomTom came out with a bluetooth GPS unit for motorcycle, I was excited about going wireless. However, I've found some disappointing features, which include: inadequate volume of the bluetooth headset, lack of software support for my Blackberry 8703e and Motorola V710 phones, poor quality, poor service, poorly design desktop computer software, poor mount for car use. Because of the lack of support for my cell phones, I cannot use traffic report and other neat features available that require data connection through my cell phones. I cannot sync my address book to the Rider, I cannot use the Buddy feature, the weather report feature, etc. Make sure your cell phone is supported for use with the Rider before buying it. The Rider was defective soon after purchasing. I also bought a Go 910 that was also had to be sent back for a replacement. No strap was offered, even though I registered for one that was supposed to be provided free. I get nervous whenever I go over bumpy roads with the Rider on my bike. The car mount is very cheaply and poorly designed to accommodate the Rider, although the mount is sturdy and sticks well to the windshield of a car. To get the unit in and out of the mount, the power connector has to be unplugged manually from the unit. It's a pain to deal with a tiny plug and disconnecting/connecting it when I have to make many stops and have to take the unit off and store it out of sight of would-be thieves. There is no built-in speaker. Therefore, in order to hear spoken direction from the Rider when in a car, a bluetooth headset has to be available and connected to the Rider. When used while riding my bike, the volume from the bluetooth headset is audible below 45-50 mph. Beyond that, it's almost inaudible. The higher the speed of the motorcycle, the less can be heard through the bluetooth headset. The on/off button is very difficult to activate. The Rider has very poor documentation/manual. I've dealt with support from TomTom, and, even though the people there seemed genuinely nice and tried to be helpful, they didn't have their act together. For example, my Rider repair and return was delayed despite their promise to send it out promptly. The repaired unit was not sent to my office as requested. So I had to drive 40 minutes each way to Fedex to pick up the repaired unit. Since this is one of five GPS units that I own or have owned, I think the Rider does a few things well, as GPS units should, but its design and the desktop software that is used to manage the Rider are so poor that I cannot recommend buying this unit, especially at the high price that I paid as an early adopter.



Keyword : motorcycle+gps

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

thanks for sharing this very interesting post
motorcycle gps mount